Heating element wire connection

wc86

Occupation
Electrician
Does anyone know a good way to redo connections to these nasty heating elements? Im envisioning some sort of small butt splice with screws on both sides. I assume all the spade terminal connectors will be unsalvageable.

Attachments

• 20240426_180443.jpg
    20240426_180443.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot_20240426_181928_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240426_181928_Gallery.jpg
    876.6 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot_20240426_181937_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240426_181937_Gallery.jpg
    934.2 KB · Views: 37

retirede

When the connections to the element on my electric smoker failed, there were only wire stubs left on the element - no way to use the connectors it was designed for. I used split bolts and it worked fine for several years. Eventually, the controller failed and I junked the whole unit.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I would think the 14-8 butt splice Larry posted would be the best option. They are easy enough to get from big blue or big orange. A supply house may have them but they will probably be in a splice kit.
Quickest and easiest, and easier to repair should it ever need it.
You can't really get at it good enough to prepare it for soldering, and it looks like some tried that before without any luck apparently.

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
I think you're referring to silver-phosporous silver brazing.

There's more to it than just the melting temperature. Metals lose a significant amount of strength long before reaching their melting temperature.
(as a rule of thumb, half the absolute temperature)

Even HVAC silver brazing probably isn't adequate for the temperature of a heating element. (and it's frightfully expensive) I can't recommend anything other than crimping or welding. Or both.

And no copper or copper-alloy lugs.

junkhound

Occupation
EE, power electronics specialty
Does anyone know a good way to redo connections to these nasty heating elements? Im envisioning some sort of small butt splice with screws on both sides. I assume all the spade terminal connectors will be unsalvageable.
way back in 1977 the heating element in my wall oven failed. Right at the plug in spade was failure spot, less than 5 years usage.

My fix: I brazed (actually could call it welded, used Cu wire as brazed rod) a couple of 2 ft long 260C rated 10AWG nickel plated glass fiber filled teflon wire to the spades, then wire nutted to the 8 AWG thhn feeders from the CB panel. Here it is 2024, and SAME element has not failed in all those decades, where the first one failed (same brand Whrilpool) in < 5 years. Threw away the existing oven feed wires and connections.

garbo

We used to use special T&B sta kons that were made for high temperature. They had a triangular crimp and was made in a different type of material & thicker then standard T&B sta kons. Not sure how good of a mechanical connection they would make on a solid round stud but never had one burnt up when we used it on high temperature stranded wires.