Heat Trace in gutters and downspout line

Status
Not open for further replies.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Best way not to have frozen gutters, is to not have gutters! LOL! I installed some 277 volt gutter melt on a commercial building in Utah, and my local tech said most houses around there just don’t have gutters because of that issue. I’ve used it in ice plants, and didn’t have any problems using standard gfi breakers.

kwired

Electron manager
FWLIW, a friend of mine has a half dozen of these, plugged into conventional GFCI receptacles, and with no problems from nuisance tripping.
Keep in mind the heat cable can still be within it's specifications and have leakage high enough to trip class A GFCI device. Longer the cable run the higher that risk is, you possibly have short enough runs it is not an issue. I have used class A GFCI on many condensate drain heat cables, many only being 10 feet or less and never had nuisance trip trouble with them either.

kwired

Electron manager
Oh ok. I don't have my book handy, the question is is there a location requirement for the 426 GFPE? Does the branch circuit require GFPE or just the heating cable?
I agree with what you have said. exception in 210.8 says "Exception to (3): Receptacles that are not readily accessible and are supplied by a branch circuit dedicated to electric snow-melting, deicing, or pipeline and vessel heating equipment"

They must be mounted up high or in other non readily accessible location. The references to 426 and 427 articles - those only state that the heat cable needs GFP protection, receptacles are not even mentioned.

Nothing wrong with installing a receptacle and a GFP module that plugs into said receptacle, from past experience they are less cost than a GFPE breaker, which often are not even in stock at the supplier.

Status
Not open for further replies.