Harmonic and tvss confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

flinnagin

Can harmonics be intermittent? Also can they cause transients? OUr plant just had a pq survey done and we have what appears to be a problem with transients. We run a 480 volt system and were seeing transients up to 217 volts. I realize we need some TVSS but should I be looking at some filtering as well?

ron

Re: Harmonic and tvss confusion

What type of transients are found? Sometimes you can determine by the type, where they originate.
How much THD amperes and voltage was detected, and where was it measured. Harmonics can be intermittent depending on your loads, which generate the harmonics.

flinnagin

The transients were quite frequent with magnitudes of 25-217 Volts. We have been having problems with HID ballasts burning out like crazy as well as alot of electronic equipment (ie. VFD's and solid state relays) failing. I am trying to determine if it is spikes or harmonics or both and how to mitigate these issues.

ron

Be sure that you realize that ballasts, VDF's and other non-linear drawing loads, cause harmonics and transients.
Depends on where you took the measurements and what they looked like on the oscilloscope. Many disturbance meter manufacturers have great tutorial info on their website.

Originally posted by flinnagin:
The transients were quite frequent with magnitudes of 25-217 Volts. We have been having problems with HID ballasts burning out like crazy as well as alot of electronic equipment (ie. VFD's and solid state relays) failing. I am trying to determine if it is spikes or harmonics or both and how to mitigate these issues.
Sounds like you need a TVSS that has a pass through voltage of only 5 volts to stop that problem.

OneWay

Sounds like a Transient Voltage Surge Suppressor(TVSS) is a move in the right direction but still you have to decide what type of TVSS is applicable and required to reduce your situation.
Personally, I would look into getting a series TVSS that has a Low Pass Filter(LPF)sized according to your service rating and install it. I believe you will be satisfied with the results.
As For your lighting issues and problems with your VFD's this may assist in resolving those problems But first and foremost, always verify proper installation and wiring methods were followed.

[ August 10, 2005, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: OneWay ]

Status
Not open for further replies.