Hanging 4 ft LED light fixture ( Luminaier) off of GRC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Removing a heavy 25lb. HID fixture off a pendent and installing a lighter 2x4 LED fixture. The pendent is threaded into a hubbed swivel mount cover and hubbed box and fed with 3/4 " grc in and out of the box. There is an optional single point mounting bracket from the factory and they supply two aircraft cables they say are for "stabilization". Do to the difficulty to get to the building structure, we would like to hang the aircraft cable off the same grc that holds the circuit wires.
Common sense tells me no problem, we are substituting a heavy fixture for a lighter one. The rub is article 314.23(h)(2) states "a luminaier supported by a single conduit shall not exceed 12 inch horizontally". Since the fixture is 4 foot long the code prohibits the single point pendent do to the length.
So if I use the cabless as support and attached to the grc, article 300.11(B) "Raceway used as a means of support", refers me back to 314.23. In order to comply with the code, I think I'm stuck attaching the cables to the building structure. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Cat 392 lt mount.pdf
    48.4 KB · Views: 19

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You would be hanging the new light from two conduits, not one, so the 12" limit ought not apply.

The existing one pendent. It's difficult to get up to the conduit run. We were going to fish the aerial cable around the conduit and slide a locking coupling on it (speed link), Like the attachment shows.

Larry,
Thanks for responding.
Just to clarify that's my drawing, not the factories or Engineers. If it were the contract drawings, I could claim I did exactly as shown. I don't want to submit something, do the installation and then have them say I did it against the code. We are talking around 130 high bay fixtures. Redoing them would be costly.
If someone had a suggestion, I would certainly appreciate it.

synchro

Occupation
EE
Do you have to use these particular fixtures? If you can select another alternative then there are LED lights specifically made for pedant mounting (and also meet the 12 inch max. requirement) that might meet your needs, for example those at the following link:

Otherwise the 2 foot version of the fixture you mentioned is available up to 30,000 lumens as in the spec sheet linked below. It's still over the 12 inch rule on the diagonals by a few inches, but that's much less than with the 4 foot versions.

Fixtures have been delivered. It would be too difficult and costly to return and submit on.
I did to talk to the Electric Inspector he doesn't have a problem with my proposed installation. He said he would compose a letter for me to send to the Engineer.

Status
Not open for further replies.