Halogen Vs. Incadescent

Status
Not open for further replies.

davedottcom

I have been told by one of this country's leading manufacturer of light bulbs that the amount of heat produced by a light bulb is in direct proportion with the bulbs wattage and DOES NOT change when comparing Halogens to "regular" incandescent bulbs.

In other words, they are saying that a 75 watt halogen bulb produces EXACTLY the same amount of heat as a 75 watt regular incandescent light bulb.
(Assuming they are Both rated for and applied the same voltage)

Does anyone know this to be either accurate or Inaccurate?
Also if anyone out there has a "temperature sensing" tester, would you mind taking readings from 2 types of bulbs of the same wattage and let me know what their temps really are?!?

Thanks, Dave

charlie

Re: Halogen Vs. Incadescent

A watt is a watt so the 75 watt bulbs would both put out the same amount of heat. It seems counter intuitive since the halogen bulb is so much hotter. However, the glass envelope of a standard light bulb has so much more surface area to dissipate the heat that the halogen bulb is perceived to put out much more heat. They both have tungsten filaments but the halogen bulb runs at a much higher temperature so the light is more white. The standard light bulb runs at a lower temperature and the light is more yellow. :D

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Originally posted by charlie: A watt is a watt so the 75 watt bulbs would both put out the same amount of heat.
Your conclusion might be right ? I am no expert on lighting systems. But I have to take issue with this statement. I agree that ?a watt is a watt,? but that means that both bulbs will use up the same amount of energy. They can still put out different amounts of heat. One might be better than the other converting 75 watts of input energy into visible light. The other might convert more of its input energy into sensible heat.

iwire

Staff member

I am no expert on lighting systems either so I am going out on a limb here.

I believe I read that incandescent lamps waste much of their energy making light in a spectrum not of use to us. (Infer Red?)

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Stand under several standard bulbs and then do it under same amount of halogens you`ll see the difference

zekeman

He's approximately right. It turns out that only about 10% of the power of an incandescent is visible light compared with a slightly higher percentage of a halogen power. Therefore in both cases the heat power is about 90% of the input power. Accordingly 75 watts of power in both cases yield about .9x75 watts of heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.