HAI / Homeauto anybody install?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicknorth

I was wondering what was the opinion with people installing HAI systems here? Do you like them or hate them? How has the programing gone? Have anybody every hooked them up with camera and used the internet?

luke warmwater

Re: HAI / Homeauto anybody install?

Nick, as I stated before, we use P$S.
We've never used the HAI brand.

With the P$S stuff, we've installed camera systems. We've used aftermarket cards to access the cameras via internet.

There are also cameras out there that have a built in modem, so each camera has it's own URL.

What does your local supplier carry??

nicknorth

I'm not sure what is P$S. Can you send me a link to there site? I use mostly OnQ or Levition, but mostly all we do is structure phone, data, audio, cable systems. We are trained on HAI systems, but nobody around wants them. We have customers always asking for this and that, but then when we give a price I think they change their minds. We install 4 speaker A-Bus system w/ speakers for $3,000 in new construction and most people think that is way too much. I think that is a very good deal myself.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

We install 4 speaker A-Bus system w/ speakers for $3,000 in new construction and most people think that is way too much.

Apparently your customers just want a few speakers installed.

I have no idea what this stuff costs you and I would never suggest your price is too high for what you do but I myself would have a hard time justifying $3000 for four speakers, especially of that low quality.

I'm not a big fan of residential audio mainly because there is some good stuff and there is snake oil and junk but no matter, it all sells for some ridiculous price that makes people with more money than brains think they have to have it.

If your customers don't fit that description you aren't going to be very sucessful trying to sell this stuff to them.

-Hal

brannen

I took an HTI+ class and in the labs we programmed an HAI panel. It was pretty straight forward - worked well in our lab. We had a door sensor trigger several lights to turn on and the system to announce an alarm status and to announce when a window was open.

jrdsg

we're doing a 16,000 square foot home with hai stuff at the moment. we're using their touch-screen keypads to consolidate lighting control, security alarm, hvac, and distributed audio [russound].

pass and seymour recently acquired on-q, for what it's worth. on-q's automation electronics are rebadged hai product.

so far so good. hai is simpler than some of the pricier automation platforms, but that can be an advantage. our client came to us with horror stories about friends of his whose automation systems never really came together.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

From my limtied exposure to the world of home automation (and that is from people who have them telling em their experience) most people are not especially happy with them once they are installed.

They tend to be difficult to reprogram and what seems nifty up front ends up being a PITA when they either fail or do not work as expected. I have even heard tales of people just ripping out the stuff cause it was so much hassle to deal with.

I have also heard from people who really like at least some aspects of what they have. Those seem to be the people who ended up doing it themselves.

brannen

I have also heard from people who really like at least some aspects of what they have. Those seem to be the people who ended up doing it themselves. [/QB]
This seems to be the case with technology - there are some people who simply don't understand and don't want to take the time to understand and expect everything to work all the time and when it doesn't, replace it.

Then there are others who are inquisitive and like learning new things and once they do, realize that the more simple things are on the front end, the harder they are on the back end, and anything to do with computers - 99.99% uptime is extremely difficult to achieve - much less 5 nines.

jrdsg

you have to be careful not to oversell this stuff, and to employ it in a way that enhances the client's use of their home rather than getting in the way.

it is important to be totally open with the client about the potential drawbacks and let them decide how much technology they want and to what end.

ideally if you have prewired the home properly the client's options for future configurations are basically unlimited, and as their needs or values change over time they are not married to something restrictive and obselete.

also, anything proprietary that limits the client's access to service to a small number of service providers in their area is a non-starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.