guest house

Status
Not open for further replies.

tacomafc

I installed a 200 anp sub panel in a guest house. Does this sub panel need to be main breaker or could it be main lug? I provide main lug and the inspector told me to repacle ir or add a disco. If you could also tell me what section in the 06 code book. Thank You All Tacoma

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: guest house

I agree with Rick and with his reference.

But just to clarify one minor point, it is not the panel itself that needs a disconnecting means. It is the conductors entering the building that require a disconnecting means. You can accomplish that by having a main breaker on the panel. But if you don't do that, then there has to be a disconnect on the outside or inside of the wall, at the point the conductors enter the building.

Please note also that the questions of whether the building also needs its own ground rod and whether to bond the Neutral and Ground buses at the panel are entirely separate discussions, and have their own rules.

favec

hey bud
I finally made my way to this web site. congradulations on your new joint venture. It does seem that you need a disconect means for the panel. Will it look bad if you put it outside the guest house?

haskindm

That a separate building or structure requires a disconnect is pretty basic stuff. Also pretty basic is the fact that the code is revised every three years so there was a '99 code, a 2002 code, and a 2005 code. There will be a new code in 2008. There is no 2006 code. Is a master electrician license required in your area? If so, who signed the inspection? The person signing the inspections should be catching this sort of error, not relying on the inspector. Makes me wonder who determined the need for a 200-amp panel in the guest house? This is not a sub-panel in the strict sense of the word. Is the original panel/service adequate for this increased load? Refer to 250.32 for buildings supplied by a feeder. Refer to Article 230 part VI for information on disconnecting means.

Status
Not open for further replies.