Grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Journeyman electrician
For the question about why should we electricians pull a ground with every circuit is because we may need to pull a circuit out. If you have ever done that you are familiar with the process of .

Occupation
Journeyman electrician
Ok.
And now that I have, I still think that if you have ever had to pull out a circuit, it would be nice to have a ground already installed. Sometime we use the ground as a pull wire. The question was why should there be a ground for every circuit. I have been working in that situation for the past few days. I have to pull a ground back through for all these circuits because I have no idea why they didn't install any initially

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Ok.
The question was why should there be a ground for every circuit. I have been working in that situation for the past few days. I have to pull a ground back through for all these circuits because I have no idea why they didn't install any initially
Are the raceways metallic? If they are there is no need to install a wire type EGC.

Roger

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Ok.
And now that I have, I still think that if you have ever had to pull out a circuit, it would be nice to have a ground already installed. Sometime we use the ground as a pull wire. The question was why should there be a ground for every circuit. I have been working in that situation for the past few days. I have to pull a ground back through for all these circuits because I have no idea why they didn't install any initially
If a wire type EGC is required you only need one in the raceway sized according to the largest circuit OCPD in that raceway.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
As I understand it, with a shared duct, if you pull in your cable and do not leave a pull string the next guy to come along will cut your cable and use it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.