Grounding with Surge Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Just watched this video saying grounding doesn't make a difference in surge protection or how surge protection devices operate:

I can understand this in terms of something happening on the primary side, but what if the service drop got hit by lightning or 7,200 volts touched one of the 120 volt conductors going into the building? Wouldn't the earth help in lower the impedance? They say lightning is seeking the shortest path to ground, so wouldn't good earth electrodes help?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You want to minimize impedance between circuit conductors, not to earth, to assure OCPD operation.

Likewise, you want to minimize voltage between conductors, not between circuit and earth, to protect equipment.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
You want to minimize impedance between circuit conductors, not to earth, to assure OCPD operation.

Likewise, you want to minimize voltage between conductors, not between circuit and earth, to protect equipment.

Basically bonding type theory? I still see a ground being a good thing is 7,200 volts came into the property.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Basically bonding type theory? I still see a ground being a good thing is 7,200 volts came into the property.
What I'm suggesting is that, to most equipment, damage is more likely from high input voltage than high voltage to earth.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What does a typical electronic device with a 2-wire power supply care what the voltage to earth is (unless it's very extreme)?

Over the years, I believe I've seen more over-voltage damage from, for example, a broken neutral than from lightning strikes.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
What does a typical electronic device with a 2-wire power supply care what the voltage to earth is (unless it's very extreme)?

Over the years, I believe I've seen more over-voltage damage from, for example, a broken neutral than from lightning strikes.

Right, but imagine lightning striking the secondary service conductors, a phase specifically. It will go through the device, back on the neutral and eventually over the bonding jumper to ground.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Right, but imagine lightning striking the secondary service conductors, a phase specifically. It will go through the device, back on the neutral and eventually over the bonding jumper to ground.
In that case, I can't imagine a SPD being any help to prevent damage.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
On a lightning damaged home, it struck a tree in the yard, it was apparent the voltage difference was between the grounded conductors and the EG. Carbon tracking was very apparent in recessed cans between the screw shell of the lamp socket and a mounting screw of the socket. Would surge protectors have worked there vs more /better GES?

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
On a lightning damaged home, it struck a tree in the yard, it was apparent the voltage difference was between the grounded conductors and the EG. Carbon tracking was very apparent in recessed cans between the screw shell of the lamp socket and a mounting screw of the socket. Would surge protectors have worked there vs more /better GES?

Wondering the same lol. I'll admit surge protection is not my field of knowledge but sure is fascinating.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
I think the point is that surge protection is helpful when it prevents the device from 'seeing' an overvoltage across any connected terminals.

If 7200V gets applied equally to both terminals of the device, then the device doesn't 'see' that overvoltage. Think 'robot bird on a wire'.

If 7200V gets applied equally to the supply terminals of the device, but the device additionally has an earth ground connection, then the device won't see a supply overvoltage, but will certainly see an insulation (to chassis/ground) system overvoltage. If a device uses ground as a signal path (eg coax with grounded external conductors) then it seems that good earth connection becomes a necessary part of surge protection.

-Jon

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Shunting helps reduce voltage across the protected equipment, no?
On an actual strike to the service conductors, I doubt that it really does. It will vaporize before it provides any real protection. If it is voltage from a nearby strike, it will do that as long as the energy it sees does not exceed the device rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.