Grounding question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dufunchy

I recently had a home inspection done on a house that I would like to purchase. The house was built in 1993. The home inspector found the following problem and I would like to have someone comment as to whether or not this may be a potential problem.
- The electrical system has multiple grounds to water pipes at the water heaters and a ground rod at the main service entrance. This appears to have step potential and should be addressed by an electrician and repaired if needed.

These are gas water heaters and I believe the ground goes to the cold water side. The gounds at the water pipes do go back to the main breaker box and there is a ground from there to a lightning ground.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

haskindm

Re: Grounding question

If I am understanding the question correctly, this home inspector does not understand the difference between grounding and bonding. In most cases the waterline is bonded to carry any current that may be imposed on it and to facilitate the operation of the overcurrent device in the event of a fault to a waterline. This is not a multiple ground. Perhaps we need more explanation of what the inspector found.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

There is nothing wrong with "multiple grounds." You can have a thousand connections between all of your pipes, and a thousand ground rods all over your back yard. The only thing that is needed is that any and all "grounding electrodes" (this phrase includes the incoming water pipe and ground rods) have to be connected (i.e., "bonded") ot each other.

It sounds to me like it is a standard, boilerplate phrase taken out of the "Home Inspector's Guidebook." This inspector saw something he did not understand, and pulled that phrase out of the book so that the burdnen of resolution falls upon you (or the seller).

dufunchy

Just from what little I know I would agree that these are not multiple grounds and it is in essence multiple terminations of a single point ground. In reality the wires go back to the breaker box and connect to the main ground wire which should be okay. But I am not an electrician and the home inspector indicated he is not an electrician also. I would agree that he saw something that he did not understand and wanted a professional opinion. He in essense saw something he did not understand and wanted to cover his butt. The house owner did argue with the home inspector about this issue. The home owner said it was done this way to prevent being shocked at the fawcetts.

Many thanks! No one has raised a red flag and I think it should be okay as is.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

PLEASE do keep in mind that none of us has actually seen this house. We cannot, and will not, give any opinions with regard to whether this house does or does not have a problem.

All we did was to inform you that the description you gave us did not appear to us to represent a code violation. There may be one or more code violations in any given house. But you did not describe anything that seemed to be a problem.

Just covering our six o'clock position. :D

dufunchy

I hear you loud and clear charlie b and I'm not looking for anyone to point a finger at in the event something goes wrong. I have been told by the house inspector to have it checked by an electrician. But the wiring made sense to me.

My father was an electrician but passed away about 2 years ago. He taught me the basics of 110 wiring and that has gotten me through a lot. The owner of the house did have the house built himself and he had a transfer switch put in for a generator and he seemed very knowledgeable about that so I feel fairly comfortable with what has been said by him and here.

I greatly appreciate the reply's.

Status
Not open for further replies.