Grounding NEMA 4X boxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work a large municipal wastewater plant. We have 40-50 pole mounted 480 volt 2 phase, high pressure sodium area lights. Its aluminium conduit with a NEMA 4x stainless steel junction box at the base of the light pole. These NEMA 4x boxes contain splices. None of the boxes are grounded. There is an equipment grounding conductor but the egc is not grounded to the box. Does the NEC require these boxes to be grounded? Are there exemptions?

Thanks!

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I work a large municipal wastewater plant. We have 40-50 pole mounted 480 volt 2 phase, high pressure sodium area lights. Its aluminium conduit with a NEMA 4x stainless steel junction box at the base of the light pole. These NEMA 4x boxes contain splices. None of the boxes are grounded. There is an equipment grounding conductor but the egc is not grounded to the box. Does the NEC require these boxes to be grounded? Are there exemptions?

Thanks!
Why can't the aluminum conduit be the EGC that bonds the box?

iwire

Staff member

Thanks!

They are grounded via the conduit, however 250.148 requires the EGC to be connected to the box.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
That is correct.
Assuming that the conduit from the junction box is solidly connected to the fixture, or connected by a wiring method that is suitable for use as an equipment grounding conductor (note that flexible conduit installed where flexibility is required, is not suitable for use as an EGC), I don't see a safety hazard, but the since the conductors are spliced in the box, the code requires the EGC to be connected to the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.