Grounding in 2 places?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phillip Land

I have a condo building I'm working on with 16 tenants. The meter/disconnect pack is in a basement closet. The service is 800 amps. The electrode grounding conductor comes out of the disconnect and goes underground to who knows what or where - it looks to be sized appropriately and is copper. There is not a gec to cold water - I could not find it and it may be pvc. The building was built in 1984 and is in Atlanta, Ga
The feeders to each unit are 1/0 SER aluminum. The panels are mlo and have the neutral bar and eq gr. bars separate. For some reason someone ran a #4 gec from the eq grounding bar to the cold water at the water heater, which is a few feet away.
This is not the first time or building that I have seen this set-up. I removed the #4 going to the water heater and I'm wondering if I need to put it back. I usually work on sing family dwellings.
I'm just hoping somebody could help me out here if they know a reason for this installation
Thank you!

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Sounds to me like that were bonding the metal water pipe system to the panel which won't do any harm.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I have a condo building I'm working on with 16 tenants. The meter/disconnect pack is in a basement closet. The service is 800 amps. The electrode grounding conductor comes out of the disconnect and goes underground to who knows what or where - it looks to be sized appropriately and is copper. There is not a gec to cold water - I could not find it and it may be pvc. The building was built in 1984 and is in Atlanta, Ga
The feeders to each unit are 1/0 SER aluminum. The panels are mlo and have the neutral bar and eq gr. bars separate. For some reason someone ran a #4 gec from the eq grounding bar to the cold water at the water heater, which is a few feet away.
This is not the first time or building that I have seen this set-up. I removed the #4 going to the water heater and I'm wondering if I need to put it back. I usually work on sing family dwellings.
I'm just hoping somebody could help me out here if they know a reason for this installation
Thank you!

See 250.104(A)(2). This often applies multi occupancies in one building.

Status
Not open for further replies.