grounding for automatic transfer switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

lroselle

Have 400 amp/1 phase service disconnect outside of building . Inside feeds to automatic transfer switch from generator and to sub panel.this was pre-wired to a 200 sub panel from factory in transfer switch a ground wire was tied into the neutral bar in transfer cabinet. there is a ground bar with equipment grounds. do not think this should be tied into neutral. to me it the same as the sub panel where we do not tie neutral and equipment grounds together.Is this done so breakers can see short circuit current with when in under generator mod?

wirenut1980

Re: grounding for automatic transfer switch

To elaborate some more, whether or not the neutral is switched will tell you whether or not you have a separately derived system. see 250-20 in 99 NEC. You will then be referred to 250-30 if it is a separately derived system. If it is not a separately derived system, then I believe the grounded and grounding conductors should be kept separate. :)

hornetd

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician, Retired
Re: grounding for automatic transfer switch

Originally posted by lroselle:
Have 400 amp/1 phase service disconnect outside of building . Inside feeds to automatic transfer switch from generator and to sub panel.this was pre-wired to a 200 sub panel from factory in transfer switch a ground wire was tied into the neutral bar in transfer cabinet. there is a ground bar with equipment grounds. do not think this should be tied into neutral. to me it the same as the sub panel where we do not tie neutral and equipment grounds together.Is this done so breakers can see short circuit current with when in under generator mod?
Is that a solid buss bar or a transfer pole terminal.
--
Tom Horne

Status
Not open for further replies.