Grounding electrode on helical pier ground mount solar arrays

Status
Not open for further replies.

BackCountry

Electrician
Occupation
Licensed Electrician and General Contractor
We have a few ground mount solar arrays in the job queue, and as I was doing takeoffs to prep for material orders, I wondered... do 16 helical piers embedded 5’+ into the soil supporting a ground mount solar array, with a UL2703 compliant racking system that’s bonded throughout, qualify as the grounding electrode thereby eliminating the need to drive a second ground rod? These are microinverter based systems, so the entire array is bonded, and no DC leaves the array, It’s all AC. We have a pier mounted AC disconnect where we will tie the ground in from the main panel. From there, we’ll have a #6 bare copper that’s bonded to the racking and frame. Clearly driving an additional ground rod isn’t expensive or difficult; however, logically speaking it’s difficult for me to think that it’s doing something when I’ve got 16 galvanized piers with 5 feet of direct earth contact each right next to it. Please educate me, when reading the NEC steel structure used as a grounding electrode or UFER ground sections, my situation does not appear to clearly qualify.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Seems like 8ft would be enough, isn't the shaft of the helical pier a pipe of diameter at least 3/4" trade size?

Cheers, Wayne

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
If you think about the size of the helix then the piers should also be good as plate electrodes even though not 8' deep.

I don't think these piers qualify as grounding electrodes but should. I wonder if the manufacturer could get them listed as grounding electrodes as a selling point.

Jon

BackCountry

Electrician
Occupation
Licensed Electrician and General Contractor
I wonder that too. There will be 16 of them, embedded 5 feet deep each. It seems like there would be more than adequate earth contact; however, not something I'd want to experiment with unless it was recognized in the code. They're great for ground mount solar, racking within an hour or two of arrival at a job.

Status
Not open for further replies.