Grounding conduit-Locknuts & sealing rings

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireman

Inactive, Email Never Verified
Is my rigid conduit system grounded properly per NEC if I use a locknut and sealing ring on the outside of enclosure and a locknut and plastic bushing on inside of enclosure?

What I'm concerned about is that the sealing ring prevents the teeth of the outer locknut from coming into contact with the outside of the enclosure.

hornetd

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician, Retired
Re: Grounding conduit-Locknuts & sealing rings

What are you calling a sealing ring? A sealing lock nut does not fail to bite in unless you fail to tighten it.
--
Tom

bennie

Esteemed Member

Are the sealing rings listed? If they are, the method used would have to be approved as a bond connection. There is only one way to use them.

wireman

Inactive, Email Never Verified

RE: TO hornetd

I'm not using a sealing locknut, but a sealing ring (example: T&B #5264) in addition to a locknut. The sealing ring has a rubber gasket with a metal ring.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

I've used the sealing rings before, but only with liquid tite connectors. I don't think they are designed to be used with rigid, for that you would use a sealing locknut.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

Tom,

The sealing ring is approved for use in all of the same applications as the sealing locknut, according to T&B they are interchangeable.

Wireman,

Your installation would be correct. The locknut on the outside of the panel will hold the sealing ring in place. The locknut on the inside of the panel will provide the necessary "clamping" and grounding of the rigid conduit.

Status
Not open for further replies.