Grounding cellular tower fenced compound

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcm

Occupation
Engineer
I am trying to determine the best way to ground a metal chainlink fence for a 100'x100' cellular tower compound. My first instinct is to place a ground ring all the way around the compound just inside the fence with rods at ~10' spacing, and also bond the gate and posts; however, I think this is probably overkill. Ignoring the tower/equipment grounding, what would be the best and least expensive way to ground this site's fencing while remaining code compliant? Thanks!

dereckbc

Staff member
Re: Grounding cellular tower fenced compound

There are several ways to accomplish the task. What you mentioned would work as long as it is bonded to the buildings electrode system.

Here is how I do it. Assuming you have a ground ring around the building, extend radials from the corners of the building ground ring to the fence corner post and gatepost. Add a ground rod at each post and weld to post. Clamp all the sections of the chain link fence and bond to either the post or radials with welds.

The most important thing to remember is to make sure all the electrodes used on the site, building, tower, generator, fence, AC service, etc are all bonded together.

Do not know how you are constructing inside the building protective grounding, but single point isolated is best approach using the bulkhead as a Master Ground Bar to ground Radio frames, Antenna discharge units, TVSS, surge suppressors, battery plant, AC service, etc. Polyphaser has good technical info and products. Thier web site is www.polyphaser.com

Dereck

[ April 08, 2003, 11:02 AM: Message edited by: dereckbc ]

Status
Not open for further replies.