Grounding / Bonding Video for Amateur Radio Operators

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Jarzombek

New User
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor / Amateur radio Operator
Arguably the most controversial topic when it comes to amateur radio operators is station grounding. Hams deal with AC, DC and RF energy daily. Many hams are licensed to broadcast with up to a 1.5 kw signal. Power supplies can contain very high voltages and sizable currents. Antenna towers are often greater then 150' high. And there are close to 800,000 licensed amateur radio operators in the United States. To add to the confusion, the majority of amateur radio equipment is manufactured in countries other then the US, and accordingly have grounding recommendations that are not necessarily in accordance with the NEC.

One of the greatest concerns of many hams, is that bonding all of the equipment together will cause ground loops at RF frequencies and let RF energy into the ham shack. Some recommend installing a separate ground rod to bleed off the RF energy and not bonding it to the premises grounding system.

I would like to see a video showing the correct way to ground / bond an amateur radio station, that also deals with RF energy on the grounding system. It would of course have to be tailored to non electricians. Most hams have a pretty good knowledge of inductance, reactance, and electrical calculations so it wouldn't have to be dumbed down too much.

Amateur Radio operators deal with frequencies anywhere from 135 Khz to over 300 Ghz.

The hazards are substantial and a video could help save both lives and property.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. perhaps the next greatest controversy is what type of tape and mastic to use to protect coax connectors from the elements.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Welcome to the forum. Most members here are strictly power guys.

I can't imagine a better source for this information than the ARRL.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Article 810 covers it pretty well, there have not been many changes over the years.
Start with
Part 3 of Article 810;
810.58(B) Size of the protective bonding conductor has to be the same AWG as the lead-in and not smaller than #10.
Then 810.21.
Just like a cable, phone, or dish install one needs a COAX grounding block for that 50 ohm coax:
gbwm.jpg

or

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Arguably the most controversial topic
P.S. perhaps the next greatest controversy is what type of tape and mastic to use to protect coax connectors from the elements.
I have made up st least 300 LMR 400 coax connections over 20 years, never had one fail
I use Scotch 70 tape, stretch and half lap. I put 33 over it but thats not required. 70 is fast and easy to apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.