grounding battery tanks for oil field

Status
Not open for further replies.

electrified480

I have a question on what the best method to use for grounding eight holding tanks, 4 tanks having water and the other 4 having 4 oil. These tank also are classified as a div. 1 class 1. Which are used for separating of oil, for the oil field.

I seen where they but a ground rod with grounding enhancement in the hole of the ground rod, in all for corners of the containment wall. Then they run number 2 awg from the control panel all the way around the containment kind of creating a ring around the containment wall, tieing in to the ground rods. After they tie in to the rod with the wire. They then bond all the tanks and any metal frame from that number 2awg wire.

Would this be a safe practice to do.

jtinge

Occupation
Sr. Elec. Engr
I have a question on what the best method to use for grounding eight holding tanks, 4 tanks having water and the other 4 having 4 oil. These tank also are classified as a div. 1 class 1. Which are used for separating of oil, for the oil field.

I seen where they but a ground rod with grounding enhancement in the hole of the ground rod, in all for corners of the containment wall. Then they run number 2 awg from the control panel all the way around the containment kind of creating a ring around the containment wall, tieing in to the ground rods. After they tie in to the rod with the wire. They then bond all the tanks and any metal frame from that number 2awg wire.

It seems sufficient to me but I'm not sure what grounding requirement you are trying to satisfy. If you are concerned about lightning protection, see NFPA 780. If you are trying to control static electricity, see NFPA 77.

FE427TP

Do they need cathodic protection?

Sfg9972

Occupation
Compliance
Depending on size of tanks, they are considered inherently grounded with appropriate tank surface to ground interface. Always best to bond tanks, and drive ground rods 10ft deep, no closer than 20ft together, and best at opposite end of the tank battery. Nfpa 780 and nfpa 77 provide greater detail. Also, company called PetroGuardian specializes with this for lightning and static. Best of luck

Status
Not open for further replies.