grounding at the main disconnect located out side

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireman1

does the ground wire from the rods and water line land in the disconnect out side and not in the sub panel

TheGingerElectrician

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor, TN
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Your main bonding jumper should always be in the first panel supplying power to a structure, house or building and which should also have a means of shut off for the entire building aka your main panel or MDP. This panel is where you should bring all your grounds to. Your ground wires that go from your ground rods, water line, building steel ect are known as your grounding electrodes (different from equipment ground or bonding wire). Make sure to check with the local AHJ or utility because where I'm at the ground rod always goes to the meter and the other grounds go to the main panel. In my opinion they should all go to the meter but not my decision to make.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
does the ground wire from the rods and water line land in the disconnect out side and not in the sub panel
A GEC can land at any point between the service point and the service disconnect. A sub-panel would be beyond the service disconnect so it cannot land there. Some places allow the connection of the GEC to the neutral in the meter enclosure and some don't. Most common location is as Dave stated where the MBJ is installed usually in the service panel or service disconnect.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I've always wanted to make the GEC connection at the weather head just for some variety 😉
Actually, I've found that to be fairly common on older rural services. I'm guessing for lightning concerns.

We're not allowed to land GECs in the meter base, which I feel is the perfect place for outside electrodes.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Your ground wires that go from your ground rods, water line, building steel ect are known as your grounding electrodes (different from equipment ground or bonding wire).

Just to clarify.

The "wires" or conductors that go to your ground rods, water line and building steel are known as your "Grounding Electrode Conductors".

JAP>

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I think you are thinking of an SDS (where it would be an SBJ not a MBJ)? I've always wanted to make the GEC connection at the weather head just for some variety 😉
I was giving the basic answer that works 90% of the time. If you know enough to know that you can land the GEC at the weather head then you don't need a more detailed answer.

TheGingerElectrician

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor, TN
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Just to clarify.

The "wires" or conductors that go to your ground rods, water line and building steel are known as your "Grounding Electrode Conductors".

JAP>
Thanks for clarifying Jap! I should have put that last part in there. There is a difference!

Status
Not open for further replies.