grounding and bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjsgranpa

I am installing new service in my home . Upgrading from 100amp to 200 amp.
I am also running a 60 amp branch circuit to the garage underground about 15 feet away from the house. I have 2 questions. Should the service boxes be bonded neutral to ground and should I run an additional ground rod at the garage service box.
I checked with the local building inspector and he couldn't tell me if the boxes should be bonded.
I am having UL inspect before I have the power co come to switch the service and I want everything to be correct before the inspector gets here.

dereckbc

Staff member
Re: grounding and bonding

Are you talking about a branch circuit or feeder? Since you said 60 amp, I will asume a feeder and sub-panel. There are two methods to accomplish this task and they are located in NEC 250.32.

One is to run a EGC conductor with your feeder conductors. An additional connection from the neutral shall not be used using this method. A ground rod is required.

Two, where an EGC is not run with the supply to the building, there are no continious metallic paths bonded to the grounding systems in both buildings involved, and GFP of equipment has not been installed on the common ac service, the grounded circuit conductor (neutral) run with the supply shall be connected to the building disconnecting means and to the grounding electrode and shall be used for grounding or bonding equipment, structures, or frames required to be grounded or bonded.

What does UL have to do with this?? :confused:

[ March 14, 2003, 11:17 PM: Message edited by: dereckbc ]

jjsgranpa

The town I live in does not require a Licensed Electrician to do the inspections---They contact the local office of Underwrter's Laboratories to do the inspection of the new service entrance.

gwz2

Gosh!!

I was under the impression it cost approximatly $1000 a day for an UL field inspection.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

GZW2 I don't belive the inspection by UL and the field inspection you are referring to are the same thing. the town contracts with UL for electrical inspection services. A field inspection is for equipment that is not listed and has to be certified as complying with a UL standard

[ March 22, 2003, 10:19 PM: Message edited by: tom baker ]

Status
Not open for further replies.