Grounding and bonding -duct bank PVC

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwciak

The question is:
I have an underground duct bank of PVC conduit, containing both 12.47 KV and 480 v. The risers are PVC coated 90s. As the Site Electrical Engineer and a master electrician for 22 years, I maintain that these stub-ups and the additional vertical conduit GRC must be bonded to the enclosures to which they are piped. A regular Meyers Scru-Tite is not approved but an STG is. I believe that 250 is very clear on this issue and this method has been required for as long as I can remember. I am in Idaho and the contractor is from Kansas. The "o" rong simply reinforces my convictions. And, since the 90 is coated and protrudes at least 4' out of the ground the grc is in fact isolated and could become energized,
Anyone care to please comment or make suggestions. The local inspector has not been brought into this, as we wish to keep it low key unless we have to get his ruling, but I believe my position is correct.

Thanks guys/gals lwciak@cableone.net

arneykaner

Re: Grounding and bonding -duct bank PVC

It is my conviction, that any metal raceway must be bonded to the enclosure, where it terminates.
Plus, if 12 KV cable has a shield, it also should
be bonded to the same enclosure.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Re: Grounding and bonding -duct bank PVC

Iwciak,
While I would prefer to see a grounding hub, I don't think the code prohibits the use of standard hubs in this application.
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.