Grounding 200 amp panel from meter main service

Status
Not open for further replies.

crtemp

If I have a 200 amp meter main installed in dwelling, and I am feeding a 200 amp panel in the house with 4/0 aluminum SER, do I have to ground the panel with the ground wire that is in the SER jacket, or can I run a separate #6 copper to the panel and use that? The SER comes with three 4/0 and one 2/0 wire. The only reason I’m trying to do this is there is not a spot in the 200 amp panel that can accept the 2/0 ground wire. I’m having to get a big enough lug and tap it to the case. It would just be cheaper and easier for me to run the #6 and not hook up the 2/0 ground in the meter main or panel. Not sure if it’s code to use a separate ground than what is supplied in the feeder assembly.

Buck Parrish

You're suppose to use the #2 . You can get a 2/0 lug that will screw to a grd bar. One with feet that goes in two holes or one that straddles the bar and screws in . Is the panel you're feeding a main breaker panel? If so you'll want to add a grd bar and isolate it as you already know.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
No for two reasons:

1. The EGC is supposed to be contained within the same conduit or cable jacket as the other conductors.

2. A #6 cu conductor is not large enough for an EGC for a 200a feeder; you'd need #4 cu.

I would think an accessory lug is cheaper and easier than running another wire.

crtemp

No for two reasons:

1. The EGC is supposed to be contained within the same conduit or cable jacket as the other conductors.

2. A #6 cu conductor is not large enough for an EGC for a 200a feeder; you'd need #4 cu.

I would think an accessory lug is cheaper and easier than running another wire.
On your #2 reason, isn’t #6 big enough per 250.122?

kwired

Electron manager
You can also use splicing devices that would allow for reducing the conductor size, but can not reduce it to less than 6AWG copper or 4 AWG aluminum.

Status
Not open for further replies.