Grounded conductor permitted to be bare?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madeinoregon

Occupation
Inside Wireman
It seems common practice to use a bare conductor in a 3 wire cable as a grounded conductor for a dryer circuit in older homes. I understand that this is sort of grandfathered in, but I’m having trouble finding the code reference that permits this. Everything I find seems to be in reference to SE conductors which I take as different than SE cable used for branch circuit conductors. I am a journeyman wireman but have only done commercial/industrial work my entire career so residential/service work is out of my wheelhouse.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It is not compliant anymore but here is the article

250.140 Frames of Ranges and Clothes Dryers. Frames of
electric ranges, wall-mounted ovens, counter-mounted cooking
units, clothes dryers, and outlet or junction boxes that are part
of the circuit for these appliances shall be connected to the
equipment grounding conductor in the manner specified by
250.134 or 250.138.
Exception: For existing branch-circuit installations only where an
equipment grounding conductor is not present in the outlet or junction
box, the frames of electric ranges, wall-mounted ovens, counter-mounted
cooking units, clothes dryers, and outlet or junction boxes that are part
of the circuit for these appliances shall be permitted to be connected to
the grounded circuit conductor if all the following conditions are met.
(1) The supply circuit is 120/240-volt, single-phase, 3-wire; or
208Y/120-volt derived from a 3-phase, 4-wire, wye-connected
system.
(2) The grounded conductor is not smaller than 10 AWG copper or
8 AWG aluminum.
(3) The grounded conductor is insulated, or the grounded conductor
is uninsulated and part of a Type SE service-entrance cable and
the branch circuit originates at the service equipment.
(4) Grounding contacts of receptacles furnished as part of the equipment
are bonded to the equipment.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It's been non-compliant for many code cycles. For existing installations it can remain if the SE cable originates at the service not from a sub-panel.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
if your in Oregon See this thread:

kwired

Electron manager
It isn’t compliant anymore? As in there was a change in the 2020 code cycle?
The change occurred back in 1996 NEC. Since then you only permitted to use a "three wire" circuit for existing applications, where conditions mentioned in the exception allow.

The ability to use a bare grounded conductor in this situation existed before then, but still was limited to type SE cable - as in the cable type covered in art 338, not service entrance conductors in general.

Why they allowed that but not a simple NM or UF cable with a bare EGC, IDK. pretty much the same electrically. Physically the SE cable has a concentric bare conductor that spirals around the insulated conductors along the length of the cable.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Why they allowed that but not a simple NM or UF cable with a bare EGC, IDK. pretty much the same electrically. Physically the SE cable has a concentric bare conductor that spirals around the insulated conductors along the length of the cable.
I believe the reason is the wrapped bare conductor assures that any metallic intrusion will contact the grounded wire first.

I've also seen 10-3 NM w/out ground run to dryers, and two paralleled 10-3 NMs run to ranges and ovens.

kwired

Electron manager
I believe the reason is the wrapped bare conductor assures that any metallic intrusion will contact the grounded wire first.

I've also seen 10-3 NM w/out ground run to dryers, and two paralleled 10-3 NMs run to ranges and ovens.
10-3 w/out ground (to a dryer) was specifically allowed. The grounded conductor needed to be insulated, unless it was a type SE cable.

paralleled 10-3 was in violation of other code sections, but insulated grounded conductor part of the installation was still required, unless it was a type SE cable.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design

Yeah thats is actually more common here in older homes and in that case you have no controversy running a separate EGC.
I have seen 8/3 with no bare ground also to ranges.

I will add another option is you can get '240' volt nameplate ranges these days.
I have seen quite a few of those recently (they take a funny little 240V oven light bulb)
There is still a place to land a neutral from a 4 wire range cord but no white internal wire connected to the tap block.
So in theory you could use a NEMA 6-50 receptacle and cord (a 'welder' or 'kiln' receptacle) with the old 2 wire + bare SE cable. 6-50.png

Status
Not open for further replies.