Ground testing installed system (20year old)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Natfuelbilll

Looking for a scope for comprehensive GEC resistance and EGC verification of 29 year gas Liquification and Vaporization facility.

RGS and troughs form the EGC system.

A significant portion of the GEC is above ground mounted to plates set on top of concrete piers - very few ground rods.

Ugg

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
Looking for a scope for comprehensive GEC resistance and EGC verification of 29 year gas Liquification and Vaporization facility.

A significant portion of the GEC is above ground mounted to plates set on top of concrete piers - very few ground rods.

Ugg
Fall of potential test on Grounding electrode system? I would guess to say most facilities with sensitive equipment and hazardous locations would want 5ohms or less. (On the grounding electrode system.)

As far as testing all the raceways for low impedance fault current path. I’m curious to see what other have to say, being that depends a lot on how the raceways were installed, and wether proper steps were taken to to help prevent fight against corrosion.

One natural gas company we work for prefers to use the race way as the EGC.
Personally I am not a fan of depending on a mechanical connection to ensure a good fault current path. I know others will have different opinions. But there’s no denying we’ve all had that one fitting that tightens up in just the wrong spot and had to leave a little on the loose side.

Last edited:

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”

Ugg
Also can’t help to notice your user name... do you happen to work for national fuel?

Status
Not open for further replies.