Ground rod required for accessory building?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. My apologies if this question has been dealt with before, but scanning through at least the last several months I don't see it mentioned.

Here's my situation: We bought a house recently with a nice (unfinished) accessory building that is essentially a one-car garage (14'x24'). It has no plumbing (not a problem) or electrical (was a problem), so I am working to get the latter installed there.

Thankfully, there is a pool pump just 3-4' away from the door of the building, so there was power very close. I hired a local electrical contractor to pull 30A-220V from a panel at the pool equipment into the building and onto a new sub-panel. He also included a grounded conductor (I am trying to be as precise on the terminology as possible, but I am not an electrical contractor) from the pool sub-panel to the accessory building sub-panel. I asked if I needed a local grounding rod installed, and he indicated no, since the building was NOT tied to the main home with plumbing, and the grounded conductor was pulled from the main panel, through to the pool sub-panel, and on to the acc. bldg. sub-panel. I did a cursory check around and found some confirmation (I think on this site 6+ months ago?) that this was true.

We just had the rough-in inspection of the electrical, and the inspector is going to require that a local ground rod be installed. My only concern is with safety, not with the cost or effort to do so. If its the safest approach, that's what we'll do. However, when I researched this previously I seem to recall that it was supposedly dangerous to install a second ground rod at this building since there was no plumbing tying back to the main house (if there were, I think the answer was different). Also, the inspector wanted it tied to the same buss bar that the grounded conductor from the pool sub-panel was attached (he did not want the latter eliminated). That especially rang some bells in my mind -- sounds like a great situation for ground loops.

Can someone please verify whether I need a ground rod or not. Specifically, if it is a safety hazard to ground this building separately from the main house (but tie it to that building's grounded connector), please reference the NEC section which forbids this. As I am not an electrical contractor, I do not have access to the NEC myself (aside from glances in the book store). If its just an inspector being ultra-cautious, and not an issue of safety, I don't plan to fight it at all, but if it is a safety issue, I'd like to be able to point to chapter and verse of the NEC when I challenge their position.

Many thanks in advance.

-Ron

PS- I have made myself fairly aware of the code requirements for secondary buildings, so I do know that all receptacle circuits must have GFCI, so no need to restate that unless you think there is some nuance that may be hard to decipher. Thanks.

wbalsam1

Re: Ground rod required for accessory building?

Hi:

Have your inspector take a look at 250-32 and also tell him that you have to spike a rod if there is more than one circuit in the additional building. I think there exists a potentially inherently defective system when an outbuilding is fed from a pool remote panelboard, and I would pay very much attention to the equipment grounding conductor (being insulated, etc.) and the effectiveness of the ground-fault return-current path. As far as GFCI protected receptacles go, see Art. 210. Thorough research at this point will pay off handsomely in safety for users of the pool and the building(s).

haskindm

Also, the inspector wanted it tied to the same buss bar that the grounded conductor from the pool sub-panel was attached (he did not want the latter eliminated). That especially rang some bells in my mind -- sounds like a great situation for ground loops.
If you really mean the "grounded" (as in neutral) conductor then the inspector is WRONG. There may be three conductors brought to the building if there are no other metallic pathways between the building, the pool panel, and/or the main building. Two hots and a neutral. In this case the grounds and neutrals would be tied together on the same buss bar just like in the service panel in your house. If a ground wire and a neutral wire were installed from the pool panel to the garage, then the grounds and neutrals must be kept separated. Otherwise you will have a parallel path for neutral current and you will have current on your equipment grounds. In any case a grounding electrode is required at the garage any time there is more than one circuit in the garage.
There is a big difference between grounded conductors and grounding conductors and that may be causing some of your confusion.

[ August 09, 2005, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: haskindm ]

wbalsam1:

Thanks for your input. Are you saying that the grounding conductor needs to be insulated? I was assuming that the electrical contractor would know what to do (although he didn't indicate a need for a grounding rod, so that could be a bad assumption), and if we added a rod, he'd know what to run between it and the acc. bldg. panel. Are you saying it needs to be insulated?

Neither of the grounding connections (main house or the pool equipment sub-panel) use insulated wire to the grounding rods. Are you suggesting that this acc. bldg. grounding wire (probably used the wrong term earlier) needs to be insulated as well?

Also, what's your concern vis-a-vis the pool sub-panel and the acc. bldg.? Neither the contractor nor the inspector mentioned anything here, but safety is my #1 concern here, so if they both missed something, I'd like to know.

Thanks for your input.

-Ron

haskindm:

My mistake with the terminology. I just want to sort out the difference of opinion between the contractor and inspector, with safety being the ultimate goal.

The contractor installed 4 #10 stranded wires between the pool sub-panel and the new sub-panel. I used "grounded" incorrectly if I implied that the inspector wanted the grounding rod connected to the neutral (white) wire buss bar. He indicated the grounding buss where the existing (green) grounding wire from the pool sub-panel is terminated. He indicated a new, second grounding wire (hope I am using the right term now) is to be run from a new, local grounding rod to the grounding buss bar.

As there were already concerns mentioned in another post about the pool equipment that neither the contractor or the inspector thought was an issue, I just want to get this installed as safely as possible.

Given that there does not seem to be any controversy here, I'll get the contractor to add the grounding rod, even though he doesn't agree with the inspector that it is needed.

Thanks.

-Ron

pattbaa

If the conductors to the garage supply two or more Branch-Circuits , then they are classified as "Feeder-Conductors".

Art 250.32, Buildings supplied by Feeders (A) Grounding Electrode, reads----

"A building supplied by a Feeder shall have a Grounding Electrode installed"

The next issue is "Bonding" requirements between the Grounding Electrode Conductor, the Feeder Equiptment Grounding Conductor (EGC),the interior Bracnh-Circuit EGC's ,and the metallic surface of the panel enclosure.

You must distinguish between a Grounded Feeder Conductor ( the Feeder Neutral, White wire) and the Feeder GROUNDING Conductor which is the Feeder EGC; the EGC either a bare or Green wire.

The problem with a Grounding Electrode and a metallic path between the two stuctures, such as a metallic water/gas line, occurs when the Feeder does not have an EGC and the Grounded ( Neutral) Feeder Conductor is Bonded to the required Grounding Electrode Conductor to the Ground-Rod.The Grounding Electrode Conductor and the metallic water/ gas line would from a conductive path that "parallels" the Neutral Conductor of the Feeder, the Feeder Neutral connected to Ground at both ends of the Feeder.

Pattbaa:

Thanks! That helps clarify a bunch. Not sure why my contractor didn't understand to install the grounding rod, but it appears this may be a less-than-routine part of the code for some folks.

Thanks again.

-Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.