Ground rod for static

Status
Not open for further replies.

uwireme

My customer is getting a static shock off his conveyer belt on his wood working C & C machine and also his vacuum system. The manufacture recommends installing ground rods at the equipment. Does not sound correct to me. If I am wrong I would think all the rods should be bonded together and also to the EGC. I'm just not sure....

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Its quite common to have ground rod for static, and low resistance is not critical. It would be similar to static straps on a vehicle, or in my home shop for my cyclone vacuum separator, a wire with a nut/bolt to keep it laying on the floor. Its not an NEC issue, put in a couple of rods and connect.

retirede

The static buildup normally occurs in non-metallic dust collector piping. In my shop, I ran a #12 copper wire along the plastic piping, driving a screw every few feet. The wire originates at the metal frame of the duct collector which is grounded by its EGC. I have no issues with static.

What are they saying the ground rod is supposed to all be connected to?

uwireme

The static buildup normally occurs in non-metallic dust collector piping. In my shop, I ran a #12 copper wire along the plastic piping, driving a screw every few feet. The wire originates at the metal frame of the duct collector which is grounded by its EGC. I have no issues with static.

The only non-metallic is the flex pipe going to the equipment and has a copper wire built into the pipe

What are they saying the ground rod is supposed to all be connected to?

From the manufacture

Quote, "One of the best ways to “ground” a conveyor system is to literally discharge the static charge through the framework of the conveyor… through the floor… into the ground/earth. If a conveyor system is not sufficiently grounded, a static conductive belt will not, alone, control the electrical charge."

retirede

From the manufacture

Quote, "One of the best ways to “ground” a conveyor system is to literally discharge the static charge through the framework of the conveyor… through the floor… into the ground/earth. If a conveyor system is not sufficiently grounded, a static conductive belt will not, alone, control the electrical charge."

I apologize. I missed the conveyor belt part in your original post. I only saw “dust collection”.
In my defense, it was before coffee!

Status
Not open for further replies.