Ground Loop Conductor Size

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electriman

Greetings,

I have an electrical room that the owner wants to have a ground loop around that electrical room. The service size 3000 A. I was wondering if there is a requirement in NEC or other applicable codes that determine the size of the conductor. Per NEC 250.66 the grounding electrode conductor size is 3/0 but does not talk about a ground loop conductor size. Please advise.

My second question is the tap conductor size to bond building, switchboard and other gear inside the room, I can still use 250.66 and select 3/0.

Thanks

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Take a look at 250.64(D). Does your installation sound like a design utilizing a common grounding electrode?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
IMO, you can make it any size you want. You have already met the minimum code requirements.

IMO what you are describing is an equipment grounding conductor that should be sized according to 250.122, not a grounding electrode conductor sized according to 250.66 if you need some code to back up your design decisions.

Electriman

IMO, you can make it any size you want. You have already met the minimum code requirements.-Thanks

IMO what you are describing is an equipment grounding conductor that should be sized according to 250.122, not a grounding electrode conductor sized according to 250.66 if you need some code to back up your design decisions.
I think you are correct.

MrJLH

Typically, I have see these as a copper bar that encompasses the entire inner perimeter of the building.

Status
Not open for further replies.