ground for fire pump control

Status
Not open for further replies.

george54

Occupation
electrician
In the City of Chicago I have lead wrapped incoming conductors for a 400A / 240V service supplied from a vault in the sidewalk. "B" phase " is presently connected directly to the existing controller. "A and C" phases are connected to the CT 's in the CT panel . The CT panel is back to back with the controller. The motor is 312A @ 125HP 12 wire motor (across the line).

The building was built in 1927. The fire pump and controller are being replaced. I am running a 1" imc with 1/0 wire from the incoming water grounding point to the controller. 3" imc will be run from the new controller to the motor. Three 500 mcm and one 3/0 for bonding will be run in the 3" conduit. It will be connected to a lug on the bolt of the motor pecker head and the ground lug in the controller. I am planning on using one grounding bushing at the water pipe end of the ground conduit. The other end will be connected to the ground lug in the controller.

Am I missing anything?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
IMO:
(a) 500s are undersized
(b) What size is the OCP device in the controller ? (the 3/0 equipmemnt ground is likely oversized)
(c) see 250.64 for bonding your IMC (ie: both ends)
(d) be sure to address 250.92 on the service conduits.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.