GROUND CONDUCTOR IDENTIFICATION

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam34

Hello every one,

Section 250.119 states that EGC shall have a continuous outer finsh that is either green or green with one or more stripes. Here is the situation; I'm pulling 3#1, #6G (AL). the problem is they don't make #6G(AL) in green. I thought we could tape that conductor with a green tape at the ends. but thats not what the code said (continuos outer finish!!). Does any one have any Idea how it could be done???? thank you all in advance

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Re: GROUND CONDUCTOR IDENTIFICATION

Sam,
Southwire's online catalog says that they make #6 aluminum with a green insulation. If you can't find it, you could use a copper EGC or pull a #4 AL conductor and identify it per 250.119(A). The last option would be to see if the AHJ would permit you to identify the #6 like is permitted for #4 and larger.
Don

sam34

Thank you Don for your reply, I'll be pulling #8G Copper along with 3#1(AL).I think that would be my best choice.

hurk27

@50.119 does allow for EGC's to be marked in the field with green tape. See the bold Type

250.119 Identification of Equipment Grounding Conductors.
Unless required elsewhere in this Code, equipment grounding conductors shall be permitted to be bare, covered, or insulated. Individually covered or insulated equipment grounding conductors shall have a continuous outer finish that is either green or green with one or more yellow stripes except as permitted in this section.
(A) Conductors Larger Than 6 AWG . An insulated or covered conductor larger than 6 AWG copper or aluminum shall be permitted, at the time of installation, to be permanently identified as an equipment grounding conductor at each end and at every point where the conductor is accessible. Identification shall encircle the conductor and shall be accomplished by one of the following:
(1) Stripping the insulation or covering from the entire exposed length
(2) Coloring the exposed insulation or covering green
(3) Marking the exposed insulation or covering with green tape or green adhesive labels

iwire

Staff member

I just got some green #2 awg copper on the job, I will not be back there for a couple of days but I will look at it and see who made it.

It was a little odd, I ordered #2 awg bare that I needed now for job start up and I ordered the #2 green which I will not need for at least a month, job spec asked for green full length.

Green showed up next day, the bare was a no show, I had to get it somewhere else.

I thought green #2 would be a custom order.

As far as identifying, around here anything #8 and larger can get identified by tape, not code but is accepted practice in my area, as Don said talk to your inspector.

[ March 25, 2003, 05:09 AM: Message edited by: iwire ]

Status
Not open for further replies.