Ground bushings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Electrician
These always throw me off. MDP feeding transformer with flex then feeding my 120v panel with flex. I made my own knockouts and have equipment ground with my flex. Do I need a grounding bushing?

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
These always throw me off. MDP feeding transformer with flex then feeding my 120v panel with flex. I made my own knockouts and have equipment ground with my flex. Do I need a grounding bushing?
Are you asking for low voltage side or high voltage side? Assuming your using metallic flex?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I don't see the need for a bonding bushing.
You have no concentric or concentric to worry about and on the HV side 250.97 allows flex connectors:
Fittings with shoulders that seat firmly against the box or cabinet, such as electrical metallic tubing connectors,flexible metal conduit connectors, and cable connectors, with one locknut on the inside of boxes and cabinets

In addition, the flex can not be a grounding conductor for those currents so bond bushings would seem a waste.

Occupation
Electrician
I've asked 3 different journeymen and each gave me a different answer. One reason I'm on here. I didn't think I needed any. But each guy said something different.

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
I've asked 3 different journeymen and each gave me a different answer. One reason I'm on here. I didn't think I needed any. But each guy said something different.
As I’ve seen it said before on here, flexible metal conduit can only be used as an EGC on circuits with 20amp OCPD. Though idk the code ref for that, could be manufacture note, so regardless would be pretty much a waste of a bond bushing. (As long as your using listed connections FMC connectors upon entering the panel.)

Occupation
Electrician
Seems like it's a personal preference to inspectors too. I failed an inspection last year cause I didn't have a grounding bushing. Same setup im doing now. Different inspector this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.