Ground bus bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Can ground bus bar for main service grounding electrode system mentioned in NEC 2014 section 250.64(F)(3) or 250.64(D)(1) be installed outside bare? Does the code require any protection from outside weather conditions?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
In general, I don't believe this would be a code violation. If the parts you are using are listed, they may have some restrictions on where they can be used.

How is this different than the billions of ground rod connections that already exist and create no hazard even though they are outside.

I think it would depend on the type of connectors used. I have always installed them indoors and used typical tin plated aluminum lugs, and I don't think those are listed for wet locations. Something like a Tin plated copper lug may be required outside, but you would have to look at the instructions and listing for the connector.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Similar ground bus bars are installed outside on cell towers for the bonding the coax shields. As pointed out, tin plating can be used. A bigger issue is theft of the copper.

Status
Not open for further replies.