"Green" multi-family rental dwelling desires outdoor EV ready outlets per apartment

Status
Not open for further replies.

dinotone

3 family home being totally gutted/rehabbed. My client desires outdoor outlets installed to be prepared for EV chargers. Im not an EV expert, but been searching forums and now considering installing outdoor NEMA 14-50 receptacles, supposedly all current EV cars can utilize. Appreciate advice from those that know more in this space.

retirede

There are level 2 chargers that specify a 60A circuit. I would run the circuit and install a blank cover on the box. The proper receptacle can be installed once the charger is chosen.

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
I'm on the ignorant side, neither an electrician nor an EV owner. But I'd suggest considering a 1" or 1-1/4" conduit to a large box. The guy who would like to charge a golf cart or who wants to charge a 2025 Tesla should be able to make it happen. I would not install the breaker, but evaluate alternatives allowing up to 100A in the future.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
^^I agree.^^

This question comes up for debate here almost once a week. There really is no good answer because there are several charger options at the moment and technology is quickly changing. There is talk of a 1000A charger, probably to get charge time down to what it currently takes to fill up with gas. Tesla talks of solar.

Each tenant will be responsible for their own usage. How will you figure service size now for future requirements?

About the only good thing you have going for you is that this is new work and only three units. Usually the questions are from people who want to install chargers for existing multi-unit housing where likely the POCO won't even be able to supply the total load if every unit owner demands a charger.

-Hal

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I think most of the EV’s are programmable to what the OCP is, whether it’s 40,50,60, or 100. The charger is actually built into the car. (Only the EV fast chargers are DC) All the pedestal does is turn on or off the power as the car commands. Sure, they can monitor usage, and provide ground fault protection, but it is the car that ultimately controls it. Some charging stations require a neutral, but the car does not. The reason being, is because supply voltage may be 208, or 240, so instead of the manufacture having to make a 208 volt and a 240 volt model, they use a 120 volt coil on the contactor. (Same reason dryers use a neutral, the drum motor is 120 volt)

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
I'm on the ignorant side, neither an electrician nor an EV owner. But I'd suggest considering a 1" or 1-1/4" conduit to a large box. The guy who would like to charge a golf cart or who wants to charge a 2025 Tesla should be able to make it happen. I would not install the breaker, but evaluate alternatives allowing up to 100A in the future.
I agree a 1" conduit should do it and have room for the future. Conduit being the key word. We do many level 2 chargers mostly for Nissan and Tesla. Nissan's need a 40A circuit Teslas' need a 50.
A level 3 charger is a different animal.
Keep in mind near future systems will have inverters to leverage the car in a power outage, so put the car breaker in the top right if there is no generator.

mlnk

Last year I installed an 80 amp Tesla charger. I needed 1 1/4 conduit. So I recommend 1 1/4 empty conduit minimum to a 4x4 box.

growler

My client desires outdoor outlets installed to be prepared for EV chargers.

People always "desire" things until the get the bill. How much are they willing to spend ? Doesn't do much good to prepare for a 100 amp charger if the service is not sized to handle it.

I have not had a problem with EV chargers but I have with electric tankless water heaters. People want a big unit until they find out they would have to do a major service upgrade.

Remember the movie "Mad Max" and the sign at the garage" that said "speed is just a matter of money". That goes for EV chargers also.

dinotone

Thanks all. I had to pick something, so I decided to include 50 Amp EVs in my load calculations, and included it under Special Appliances. Yes this bumped up each apt service to 200 amps, but client was good/desired it. I'm going to run 1 1/4 conduit to outdoor box and leave it at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.