GFIC on Porch

Status
Not open for further replies.

frofro19

Occupation
Master Electrician
Does the code require everything on a screened in porch to be GI protected? I always do but I was wondering if it was actually code or not.

bphgravity

Re: GFIC on Porch

Originally posted by frofro19:
GI protected?
Yes, the code requires at least one member of the armed forces to be stationed outside each porch for protection. :p Just kidding. (GFCI)

GFCI protection is only required per Article 210.8, for special equipment and conditions as specified in the code, and when required by manufacturers specifications. I don't believe "screened porch" is specified.

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

A screened porch isn`t specified but it is outdoors.So 210 52 5 E is the article that requires it to be gfci protected.

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

The real question should be in use cover or not ??
exposed on a screened in porch to direct water flow yes,thats a wet location,in a damp location no.But with a permantly attached cord like a tv on the covered lanai yes required.

This is making me wonder about a "three season room" which is pretty common where I live. For example, at my parents house what was once a back porch had a roof and a bunch of storm type windows installed. Technically, I think it's still outdoors, but if the windows are closed it's definitly not a wet location. This conversion was done when I was in elementary school, and I think there was building permits pulled. There's one recepticle(not GFCI). I'm going to have to see what my local inspector says about "three season rooms"--just to satisfy my own curiosity.

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

The problem stems from being a wet or damp location,If there is a closed roof and windows I would say it`s in a dry location.

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Light yes if there is a door there has to be illumination.Recptacles ???? Guess it would have to be listed as living space.

jimwalker

In pasco county FL they very much call it living space.Once it has windows and door what else could it be called.Receptacles apply as well as light.And if that existing receptacle is now in the room ,we must still have a rear outside receptacle .

bphgravity

Originally posted by safari49:
If it is would not 210.52.(A) apply???
Yes, that was the point of the last few posts. Its that fine line between a living space / habitable room and an area not considered to be, like a utility room.

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

It`s not really a fine line look at 210.52 A ,the words "similar area"This would fit this picture.Roof ,floor,windows......

bphgravity

Originally posted by a.wayne3@verizon.net:
This would fit this picture.Roof ,floor,windows......
Oh, I agree. Our building department draws the line to all areas under air. Even if you enclose a lanai with windows, carpet, and the whole shabang, if you do not supply conditioned air to the area, they don't enforce wall space and lighting requirements. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.