GFI

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have a letter which reads from manufacturer it is not recommended that device be fitted with any type of GFI breaker.

The question asked was is GFCI or GFPE is recommended or not.

I am wondering if GFPE is a type of GFI?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Standard Class A GFCI protection has a trip rating of 4-6 ma of current imbalance. GFPE has a trip rating of 30 ma.

kwired

Electron manager
GFI is just the lazy way to say GFCI protection.
GFI is not just lazy, it is usually ignorance and used by those that don't understand the differences between GFCI, GFPE, or the GFP required on high amp wye supplied situations of 150+ volts. They all do have some similar operational characteristics but are not all the same thing either.

Some may even lump AFCI's into that name.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Given the question and answer as written, it seems pretty clear in context that GFI was being used to mean both GFCI and GFPE.

The question primed the pump by naming two types of ground fault devices, and the answer used a third term and said that no sort GFI should be used.

Correct use of GFI? Dunno. But that is how I read its meaning in that context.

Jon

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
I have a letter which reads from manufacturer it is not recommended that device be fitted with any type of GFI breaker.

The question asked was is GFCI or GFPE is recommended or not.

I am wondering if GFPE is a type of GFI?
What kind of equipment is this? Something that would go in a kitchen or bathroom, or some high amperage switch gear? Context of the equipment could tilt the answer.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
A manufacturers whims and wishes do not trump code requirements. I remember a commercial kitchen equipment manufacturer whose equipment (commercial coffee makers) did not work with GFCI's and had the same type of note, they lost a good size account for not getting on the band wagon. Of course it didn't take long before they had fixed their problem.

Roger

ELA

Occupation
Electrical Test Engineer
GFI could be interpreted as "Ground Fault Interrupter"
Both GFCI and GFPE are Ground Fault Interrupters. The difference is in the trip threshold level.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I remember a commercial kitchen equipment manufacturer whose equipment (commercial coffee makers) did not work with GFCI's and had the same type of note, they lost a good size account for not getting on the band wagon. Of course it didn't take long before they had fixed their problem.
"Ohhh, that's what 'leakage current' means."

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
GFI is not just lazy, it is usually ignorance and used by those that don't understand the differences between GFCI, GFPE, or the GFP required on high amp wye supplied situations of 150+ volts.

Get off your high horse. LOL I often use the term GFI...It is simpler and mean ground fault interrupter. At the supply house everyone asks for gfi receptacles when they order them. It isn't a sin

kwired

Electron manager
Get off your high horse. LOL I often use the term GFI...It is simpler and mean ground fault interrupter. At the supply house everyone asks for gfi receptacles when they order them. It isn't a sin
No it's not a sin. But don't be upset when you get something other than what you intended either.

If you actually want a GFPE breaker and just ask the supply house guy for GFI, chances are you will get GFCI. If the guy isn't all that familiar with differences and you ask for GFPE you still may get GFCI.

Sort of no different than just using the term ground but not being clear if you are talking about an EGC, GEC, grounded conductor, etc. Can lead to misunderstandings. Of course the other party in the conversation needs to understand and use proper terminology or you still may not get anywhere.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
No it's not a sin. But don't be upset when you get something other than what you intended either.

If you actually want a GFPE breaker and just ask the supply house guy for GFI, chances are you will get GFCI. If the guy isn't all that familiar with differences and you ask for GFPE you still may get GFCI.

Sort of no different than just using the term ground but not being clear if you are talking about an EGC, GEC, grounded conductor, etc. Can lead to misunderstandings. Of course the other party in the conversation needs to understand and use proper terminology or you still may not get anywhere.
Here, I try to use GFCI. At the shop, it's just ground fault. The only clarity is device or CB. DF CB is a newcomer lately.

kwired

Electron manager
When asking for something from supply house I generally ask for many of the most commonly purchased items by catalog number. They still mess up on occasion. If you ask for by a name you never know what you may get a lot of the time.

When you don't live close to the SH you need to be more specific with every item to hopefully get the right thing. Sucks to get home or even when they do come by to deliver and find out you didn't get what you wanted, and needed it now.

If you picked it up in person and it was small order or one of the larger sized items you might notice, when you have multiple small items and they pack them in a box you don't always notice when they got you the wrong thing, or the right thing but wrong sizeo_O

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If you actually want a GFPE breaker and just ask the supply house guy for GFI, chances are you will get GFCI.

I don't think our supply company even stocks GFPE. If you ask for a GFI you will get a gfci. It is just easier to say that's all. I cannot imagine asking for a gfi would get you a gfpe. I have never asked for a gfpe but if I needed one I certainly wouldn't ask for a GFI. There is no "I" in gfpe

Status
Not open for further replies.