GFI vs Dedicated Cicuit for Sump Pumps

Status
Not open for further replies.

dime

My question concerns the use of a single dedicated receptacle vs a GFI receptacle to power a 120vac sump pump. The sump pumps are located in two different environments. The first being a boiler room with concrete floors and walls. The floors are damp and certain times of the year are wet in areas. The second location is in a building crawl space with dirt floors. Is it mandatory to plug these sump pumps into a GFI receptacle or can I use a single receptacle? If allowed to use a single receptacle should the plug on the end of the pump be changed to a twist lock to insure no one could plug into it?

luke warmwater

Re: GFI vs Dedicated Cicuit for Sump Pumps

Originally posted by dime:
Is it mandatory to plug these sump pumps into a GFI receptacle or can I use a single receptacle?

It seems by you terminology that these are Not in dwelling units.
If they are Not in dwelling units, then IMO the single receptacles are fine.

If they Are IN dwelling units, IMO the boiler room could be a single receptacle, but the one in the crawlspace would have to be GFCI protected as per NEC 210.8(A)(4)

If allowed to use a single receptacle should the plug on the end of the pump be changed to a twist lock to insure no one could plug into it?

That is not a Code requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.