GFI in Restrooms, Kitchens, Garage

Status
Not open for further replies.

logie

Hi we are in the process of having our house built and I noticed that none of the above areas have and GFI outlets.

I know that GFI circuits can share from another, but there is not one GFI outlet at all.

I thought they had to do this to be up to code for (Louisiana)

websparky

Re: GFI in Restrooms, Kitchens, Garage

Contact a licensed electical contractor, have him pull a permit and have your job inspected by the AHJ.

All of the areas need GFCI's.

hillbilly

It could be that your electrician is using Ground fault breakers in the panel to protect the circuits.
steve

mclain

I know that Louisiana goes by the 1999 NEC. I am not sure what the 1999 code requirements were for GFI protection.

Don McLain

jeff43222

Originally posted by logie:
Hi we are in the process of having our house built and I noticed that none of the above areas have and GFI outlets.

I know that GFI circuits can share from another, but there is not one GFI outlet at all.

I thought they had to do this to be up to code for (Louisiana)
I'd check the panelboard and see if there are GFCI breakers protecting the above circuits. Using GFCI breakers is often a better way to go because they are more reliable than GFCI receptacles, and one breaker can protect an entire circuit without having to worry about wiring a circuit so that the GFCI receptacle is upstream from the others.

If there are not GFCI breakers in the panel, GFCI receptacles can be used to provide protection provided they are upstream from all the non-GFCI receptacles you need to protect. Certain kitchen (e.g., refrigerator) and garage (e.g., garage-door opener) receptacles are not required to have GFCI protection. GFCI protection has been required in the NEC for quite a while now, but Louisiana might have different rules.

Otherwise, get a licensed contractor to check this out and make any needed changes.

logie

Thanks for all that responded, here is an update

After using normal recpt. they have decided on their own to change certain areas to GFIR, but not all areas that need to be.

Should I be worried, will an inspector catch the NEC rules or should I make sure myself.

My biggest worry is the GFIR and sealing the outside fixtures.

websparky

All of the areas need GFCI's.
The National Electrical Code is a SAFETY code and is the MINIMUM requirement for SAFE electrical installations.

That said, if you think you know better and want to put your family at risk, well that is your business!

Status
Not open for further replies.