GFCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am installing 8 GFCI receptacles outside and using 8 seperate circuits. Can I Share neutrals and if so how many, also can I get some insight to the Code reference Article ???, Thank you For your response.

bphgravity

Re: GFCI

Im going say that you can have 4 multiwire branch circuits for this application. That is, every two receptacles can share a grounded conductor as long as the ungrounded conductors for each are on separate poles. This is the only way to ensure no neutral overloading. :)

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Yes you can share a neutral for this. You can also share a "Grounded Conductor" as in ONE.

There is no specific article that prohibits sharing a properly sized "Grounded Conductor.

Outside lighting specifically allows it, 225.7.

If you are using 15 amp circuits use a conductor from 310.16 rated for 120 amps if all the circuits are on one leg or phase.

If you are using 20 amp circuits on one leg or phase, use a conductor from 310.16 rated for 160 amps.

If you are going to serve 4 and 4 size accordingly, or do as Bryan said.

This might get some panties in a wad. :D

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Hello Donnie. Stirring? Not me. :D

BTW, Haven't heard from you lately, hope all's well.

Roger

This panel is a 208 120 volt 3 phase panel. so can i get away with 1 grounded conductor for three ungrounded conductors? Also would the same thing apply if I were to use GFCI breakers instead of receptacles, say 4 bkrs

txsparky

shockrocker68,
I haven't priced a 2 pole or 3 pole GFCI breaker lately but.... why not just use 8 circuits, 3 grounded conductors, and 1 equip.ground to feed 8 individual GFCI receptacles?

Roger,
Thanks :) , All is well! Just been busy lately. (New job, new house being built, kids baseball, kids gymnastics, etc...) Still lurking here every chance I get :D

Donnie

hurk27

By shockrocker68: Also would the same thing apply if I were to use GFCI breakers instead of receptacles, say 4 bkrs
No as you would now have shared neutral on the load side of a GFCI device.
You can only share a neutral if it is on the line side of a GFCI device or the breaker is a double pole breaker.
The reason for this is each breaker that can see a connection to the ground bar through the grounded conductor will treat this connection like a ground fault and trip.
Do a search on this site for GFCI's and you will find info on how the GFCI work's and a better understanding of them when thing's go wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.