GFCI tripping

Status
Not open for further replies.

curious101

Hi,

Some of our gas station/convenience store projects have this problem:
Beverage dispenser ICEE machine is on GFCI breaker which is tripping. The dispenser uses a L6-30R receptacle.
The area is moist, but not labeled as kitchen. The sink is more than 9 feet away, but obviously splashing happens from the beverage handling.
We just found out from the manufacturer: "It is recommended for this type of equipment not be connected to a GFCI, the compressor contactor during normal operation will create a spark which the GFCI will interpreted as a short and trip."
I'm thinking as possible solution: remove GFCI breaker and replace with regular 30A-2P breaker. Provide in-use weatherproof cover for the L6-30R receptacle.
Does this sound okay by NEC or what would be the best solution?

Thanks and have a great day!

Rock86

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Electrician
Does an ICEE machine classify as a vending machine? 2017 NEC 422.5 says you need GCFI protection regardless of if it is in a kitchen. Maybe talk with your AHJ and get clarification from him and explain the manufacturers recommendations.

curious101

Does an ICEE machine classify as a vending machine? 2017 NEC 422.5 says you need GCFI protection regardless of if it is in a kitchen. Maybe talk with your AHJ and get clarification from him and explain the manufacturers recommendations.
I was trying to look it up on the net. ICEE manufacturer doesn't talk about it as vending machine. It's not a machine where you put change in to get your drink. You have to pay for the drink at the cash register.

curious101

The problem is that these are prototype drawings, so we have a lot of these projects in different states and cities, so it would involve talking to AHJ in each and every case, which is a lot....

Rock86

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Electrician
I was trying to look it up on the net. ICEE manufacturer doesn't talk about it as vending machine. It's not a machine where you put change in to get your drink. You have to pay for the drink at the cash register.
Right... and I'm not sure if a beverage dispenser is considered a form of vending machine under the NEC.

Status
Not open for further replies.