GFCI requirements ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davebones

We have a DI water treatment system that was recently installed . This area is outside and open with a roof over it . It has a Grundfos SCALA2 constant pressure pump that has started to occasionally trip the GFCI receptacle that it is plugged into . Online I found information that says use Type B GFCI or better due to leakage DC current . Can you even buy a type "B" GFCI ? A outside vendor installed this system about 10 months ago . I'm sure they'll say something is wrong with the GFCI receptacle and just change it to a non GFCI . It actually says use a GFCI on the side of the pump/motor so there's no way we would not use a GFCI . We are a Aerospace manufacturing facility are not all outside 120v outlets not now required to be GFCI protected even in a commercial or industrial setting ?

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
We are an Aerospace manufacturing facility are not all outside 120v outlets not now required to be GFCI protected even in a commercial or industrial setting ?
Read 210.8(B), location reference (4), then the exceptions that apply to “industrial installations under engineering supervision…”. Your’s might qualify, although the inclusion of the requirement in the installation instructions would negate that exception in my opinion.

In that case then, Class B GFCIs would also be acceptable because this is not a residential application. GFCI Classes above A were specifically created for industrial and commercial applications as the areas requiring GFCI in 210.8(B) kept expanding.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Class B no longer exists as far as I know. You can get breakers for ground fault protection of equipment that have a 30mA trip, but they are not GFCIs.

Special Purpose GFCIs, Class C, D and E are not available as breakers or receptacles. They are stand alone devices with contractors to open the power conductors when the leakage current exceeds 20mA

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
The receptacle has to be class A GFCI. My question would be is this a damp or wet location and is the Grundfos rated for where it is installed?

Davebones

The receptacle has to be class A GFCI. My question would be is this a damp or wet location and is the Grundfos rated for where it is installed?
This is a damp location . It has a cover but is open on 3 sides . Not getting wet it just sits on the concrete pad . Instructions I found online shows suitable for outside or inside just protect from frost .

Status
Not open for further replies.