GFCI Receptacles - Are they allowed under kitchen sink or behind Refrigerators

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Rutherford

New User
Occupation
Inspector
GFCI Receptacles in 210.8 in the 2017 NEC states they must be readily accessible. I say they are not readily accessible in either location. Behind refrigerator you would have to move the refrigerator, under sink you would have to open cabinet doors and move stuff around to get to the GFCI receptacle. What is the answer?

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I agree with the refrigerator.

Under the sink I do not. I've had one fine time getting to a GFCI device hidden behind the thorny bushes that have grown since both were installed. Basement storage locations are another. I can see it but short of a front end loader, it's not readily accessible. Moving a few items under the sink when you know it's there is not a problem. No ones life will or should depend on getting to that tripped under sink GFCI within 30 seconds.

MO. Your inspectors may vary.

TheGingerElectrician

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor, TN
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I think this is up to the AHJ on the cabinet. Behind a fridge is certainly not readily accessible. Opening a cabinet door is easy. There are other terms in the code book like within sight for disconnects that isn't referenced in this code reference so I see nothing wrong with it being inside a cabinet door that is easily opened.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
If the refrigerator is built in, I agree, but most refrigerators are on casters, and are easily removed like any other appliance sitting in front of the receptacle.

GFCI Receptacles in 210.8 in the 2017 NEC states they must be readily accessible. I say they are not readily accessible in either location. Behind refrigerator you would have to move the refrigerator, under sink you would have to open cabinet doors and move stuff around to get to the GFCI receptacle. What is the answer?

Can you run the fridge receptacle off the load side of another more accessible outlet? Or run a dedicated outlet to a GFCI breaker so resetting it is accessible?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Can you run the fridge receptacle off the load side of another more accessible outlet? Or run a dedicated outlet to a GFCI breaker so resetting it is accessible?
Yes and yes, in that order. Keep in mind that if the fridge is not on an individual branch circuit, then it must be on one of the SABCs (i.e., 20 amps, no outlets other than those allowed on an SABC).

OdinsWolf

New User
Occupation
Electrician
Behind a refrigerator will not be readily accessible. Under a sink would be readily accessible as long as it is just inside the cabinet door. If one is not required to move obstacles to reset the button it is "readily accessible." Opening a cabinet door is no different than opening a circuit breaker panel door. As long as the receptacle is mounted by the opening of the cabinet and not at the back I believe that "readily accessible" can be met if the only obstacle is opening a cabinet door. Code does say one should not have to remove obstacles or use tools for "readily accessible," but does consider circuit breakers behind a door to be readily accessible. I would be interested to hear the opinions of others.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
If you can reset fridge receptacle without moving fridge, would you consider that accessible?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If you can reset fridge receptacle without moving fridge, would you consider that accessible?
It needs to be readily accessible not just accessible. Here's the Article 100 definition what do you think?
Accessible, Readily (Readily Accessible). Capable of being reached quickly for operation, renewal, or inspections without
requiring those to whom ready access is requisite to take actions such as to use tools (other than keys), to climb over or
under, to remove obstacles, or to resort to portable ladders, and so forth. (CMP-1)

IMO a box of dish detergent is not an obstacle.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Side question, how would you measure distance from sink for determination of gfci protection need, sink to receptacle, or sink to equipment ie refrigerator? This seems it might also make a difference if stove is within the limits as inspector tells me that when we get 2020 code that too would require gfci protection. Not sure, don't have 2020 NEC, we just went to 2017 cycle here.

rnatalie

Occupation
If the refrigerator is built in, I agree, but most refrigerators are on casters, and are easily removed like any other appliance sitting in front of the receptacle.
Casters don't cut it. Readily accessible in Art. 100: without having to "remove obstacles." A fridge, even on wheels is a pretty substantial obstacles.

rnatalie

Occupation
Side question, how would you measure distance from sink for determination of gfci protection need, sink to receptacle, or sink to equipment ie refrigerator? This seems it might also make a difference if stove is within the limits as inspector tells me that when we get 2020 code that too would require gfci protection. Not sure, don't have 2020 NEC, we just went to 2017 cycle here.
The measurement is between the receptacle itself and the "top inside edge" of the sink bowl. That is (roughly), if you plugged a 6 foot cord into the receptacle would it reach to the water if the sink was full to the brim. This didn't change from the 2017 NEC.

The change for 2020 mainly adds the GFCI requirement for 240V receptacles (prior it was only 120V) and adding "indoor damp and wet locations." to the list of places that need such protection.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
The change for 2020 mainly adds the GFCI requirement for 240V receptacles (prior it was only 120V) and adding "indoor damp and wet locations." to the list of places that need such protection.
So same measurement requirements would apply to this as well?

rnatalie

Occupation
My interpretation is that it is the straight line distance from the top edge to the receptacle (i.e., you pretend the fridge isn't there). The explanatory picture in the handbook reinforces this. It shows a 6 ft line running from a GFCI to a sink diagonally across the room. The 2014 and earlier codes had an "other than kitchens" caveat on the "within six feet of the sink" clause. The major effect of this change in 2017 was that receptacles under the sink (for a disposer or dishwasher) now require GFCI, where previously since they weren't "serving the countertop" they did not.

1599662140390.png
The above picture does have an error by the way (it comes from the 2017 handbook). They should have removed the "not located in kitchen" comment.

retirede

The above picture does have an error by the way (it comes from the 2017 handbook). They should have removed the "not located in kitchen" comment.

I don’t think that’s an error.
Don’t Countertop receptacles in a kitchen require GFCI regardless of distance from the sink?
That comment was there to show that the 6’ ONLY applied to non-kitchen countertop applications.

rnatalie

Occupation
The receptacle on the left is not serving the countertop, but since it is within 6' of the sink it needs GFCI (kitchen or not). The same picture appears in the 2014 handbook, but there it is correct as the sink rule says "other than kitchens."

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
While it may be easy to move the refrigerator, if you have to move it to access the GFCI, the GFCI is not readily accessible.
Accessible, Readily (Readily Accessible). Capable of being reached quickly for operation, renewal, or inspections without requiring those to whom ready access is requisite to take actions such as to use tools (other than keys), to climb over or under, to remove obstacles, or to resort to portable ladders, and so forth.
Standard receptacles are not required to be readily accessible, but GFCI receptacles are.

Status
Not open for further replies.