GFCI receptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
All gfci receptacles or gfci breakers will protect all downstream receptacles if you connect the load to the load on the receptacle. I am not certain what you are asking.

kwired

Electron manager
GFCI requirements are not same as AFCI requirements.

GFCI protection only the receptacle itself requires protection and can be located at or upstream from receptacle that requires protection.

AFCI the general rules start off requiring protection of the entire circuit, exceptions then allow some differences depending on situations.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Remember, for the most part, the Code is not a "how to" manual. It does not dictate how GFCI protection must be provided only where it must be provided. Various options may be available from manufacturers including "feed thru" receptacles,

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
There isn't a code section the afci or gfci are designed to protect downstream loads. The code just states which outlets need protection. You can accomplish it anyway you want

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
There isn't a code section the afci or gfci are designed to protect downstream loads. The code just states which outlets need protection. You can accomplish it anyway you want

Alright so let’s say receptacles are wired as shown and first one is GFCI would it protect downstream or I need downstream to be GFCI as well?

f08ca80d2b4eafa3997d0e815ba0a182.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kwired

Electron manager
Alright so let’s say receptacles are wired as shown and first one is GFCI would it protect downstream or I need downstream to be GFCI as well?

f08ca80d2b4eafa3997d0e815ba0a182.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If the outgoing leads from the GFCI receptacle location are connected to it's "load terminals" then all the downstream receptacles are also protected.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The rules, in general, call for receptacles in various locations to have GFCI protection. The code does not care how you provide that protection, a GFCI receptacle, a GFCI branch circuit breaker, or even an upstream GFCI feeder breaker. All of those meet the code requirements for where receptacles are required to have GFCI protection.
215.9 Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection for Personnel.
Feeders shall be permitted to be protected by a ground-fault circuit interrupter installed in a readily accessible location in lieu of the provisions for such interrupters as specified in 210.8 and 590.6(A).

Status
Not open for further replies.