GFCI receptacle tapped off LINE side of airhandler disconnect

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
If it is on the load side of the disconnect, then you can't disconnect the HVAC unit to do service work and have the receptacle available for said service work.

On the line side the receptacle remains powered.

Jonathan
Good point. 👍

g-and-h_electric

Occupation
supervising electrician
RE: no sub panels....... the following is from the city of Evanston code....

Article 230 Services: Add the following: "The maximum number of branch circuits allowed for a 100-amp, 120/240 volt, single phase service is thirty (30). The maximum number of branch circuits allowed for a 200-amp, 120/240 volt, single phase service is sixty (60)."
Article 230 Services: Add the following: "No additional fuse or breaker boxes shall be installed without the prior written approval of the city’s Electrical Inspector."

Village of Wilmette:

The electrical code of the village is supplemented with the following additional requirements:

(1)
All electrical service connections shall have a minimum capacity of 100 amps and shall utilize a 20-circuit plug fuse box or circuit breaker with 100 amp main fuse or circuit breaker disconnect of a type having Underwriters Laboratory approval. All circuits shall be contained in one cabinet. If a plug fuse box is used, only fusetat fuses shall be used. Minimum wire size #3 copper and #1 aluminum shall be used. Mini-breakers are not permitted.

Ya cant make this stuff up! .....

Howard

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
RE: no sub panels....... the following is from the city of Evanston code....

Article 230 Services: Add the following: "The maximum number of branch circuits allowed for a 100-amp, 120/240 volt, single phase service is thirty (30). The maximum number of branch circuits allowed for a 200-amp, 120/240 volt, single phase service is sixty (60)."
Article 230 Services: Add the following: "No additional fuse or breaker boxes shall be installed without the prior written approval of the city’s Electrical Inspector."

Village of Wilmette:

The electrical code of the village is supplemented with the following additional requirements:

(1)
All electrical service connections shall have a minimum capacity of 100 amps and shall utilize a 20-circuit plug fuse box or circuit breaker with 100 amp main fuse or circuit breaker disconnect of a type having Underwriters Laboratory approval. All circuits shall be contained in one cabinet. If a plug fuse box is used, only fusetat fuses shall be used. Minimum wire size #3 copper and #1 aluminum shall be used. Mini-breakers are not permitted.

Ya cant make this stuff up! .....

Howard
Sounds like they need a load calc book knocked over them lol

kwired

Electron manager
I've never been a fan of 2 separate circuits being in a disconnect, one for the AC and one for the Service Outlet.

I know it's convenient to do so, but something about not being able to kill all the power in a disconnect with 1 throw of a breaker never has sat well

with me.

JAP>
Handle tie can make it one throw.