GFCI protection Q

Status
Not open for further replies.

olly

Occupation
Master Electrician
I have a steam generator for a steam shower that will sit inside a cabinet next to a sink. AHJ said it may need GFCI because it is within 6 feet, but he thought there was an exception if the outlet in a separate cabinet then the sink. I cant find that exception and I am sure he will look for it when he comes back for trim. I dont want to buy a 50A GFCI breaker if I don't have to.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Can you use the exception for not readily accessible and or dedicated circuit?
210.8 says cord not pass through a door. A cabinet has a DOOR doesn’t it?

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Never seen a steam generator that needed gfci however if there is a receptacle and depending on which code cycle you are on then there could be an issue. I have always direct wired them.

rc/retired

Occupation
Master Electrician/Inspector retired
If the steam generator is supplied by a receptacle & the receptacle is within 6' of a sink, GFCI protection is required.
2020 NEC
Ron

olly

Occupation
Master Electrician
Never seen a steam generator that needed gfci however if there is a receptacle and depending on which code cycle you are on then there could be an issue. I have always direct wired them.
The unit comes with a plug on the end. I guess I need to find out if it voids the warranty if I cut it off and hard wire it

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I have a steam generator for a steam shower that will sit inside a cabinet next to a sink. AHJ said it may need GFCI because it is within 6 feet, but he thought there was an exception if the outlet in a separate cabinet then the sink. I cant find that exception and I am sure he will look for it when he comes back for trim. I dont want to buy a 50A GFCI breaker if I don't have to.
If it requires a 50A breaker, then I don't think it needs GFCI if it's in a dwelling.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The unit comes with a plug on the end. I guess I need to find out if it voids the warranty if I cut it off and hard wire it
Can your provide a manufacture and model number? I have connected may steam generators from major manufactures and never seen one that came with a factory cord and plug. All requred hard wired connections.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I didn't consider GFCI since I'm still on the 2017 and don't have the 2020. Also because it was a 50A circuit and most likely 240V.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Had one code official explain that the 6 ft rule was not a general circumference but what a 6 ft cord would reach, thus he says if the receptacle was placed in a position that 6 ft cord could not reach the edge of sink, it was outside of the 6 ft rule even if the appliance itself maybe inside the range. This came up in relationship to a electric stove.

kwired

Electron manager
Had one code official explain that the 6 ft rule was not a general circumference but what a 6 ft cord would reach, thus he says if the receptacle was placed in a position that 6 ft cord could not reach the edge of sink, it was outside of the 6 ft rule even if the appliance itself maybe inside the range. This came up in relationship to a electric stove.
I don't think NEC actually describes that way, but seems to be a common way to interpret it.

kwired

Electron manager
Would that be an accurate interpretation?

What is accurate? need something to measure to to determine accuracy.

Without more explanation some code sections are left open to interpretation. Sometimes just oversight and gets fixed in a late code. Some AHJ's do have specific rules for how they interpret some sections especially on things that come up that are discovered don't have a definite fit to the application.

One common example for years that the CMP never wants to clarify is how much service conductor is allowed to enter a building before hitting an overcurrent device?

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
What is accurate? need something to measure to to determine accuracy.

Without more explanation some code sections are left open to interpretation. Sometimes just oversight and gets fixed in a late code. Some AHJ's do have specific rules for how they interpret some sections especially on things that come up that are discovered don't have a definite fit to the application.

One common example for years that the CMP never wants to clarify is how much service conductor is allowed to enter a building before hitting an overcurrent device?
Yeah I've been told anything from 3 ft to 10 ft one time was told that a panel I didn't install but hadn't been inspected yet had to be move 6 inch because the entry was 6ft 6in, and they only allowed 6ft.

Status
Not open for further replies.