Gfci on 50 amp receptacle

PaTerminator

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I need to install multiple 30 amp and 50 amp rv style receptacles located outside in a community center for vendors.
Located in PA and on the 2017 NEC.
I'm seeing conflicting statements online saying that gfci protection is required, some claim there was a TIA on the 2020 code addressing this, but I couldn't confirm that.
This location could possibly have an rv use it, if the vendor was driving one, but it is NOT an rv park. I would be installing individual in- use receptacles, not a combo/pedestal.
I'd like some feedback here, and possibly documentation before I talk to the AHJ.
What say you???

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Here, unless it is part of a listed RV pedestal, it would be required to be GFCI

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Here, unless it is part of a listed RV pedestal, it would be required to be GFCI

I was wondering about the GFI requirements for RV pedestals or Power Outlets,

So, if the 30 and 50a receptacles are part of an RV pedestal power outlet, it doesn't have to be GFI protected?

Is there a rule that allows 30 or 50a receptacle in an RV pedestal to "not" be GFI protected?

JAP>

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I think there was a TIA issued on the 2020 Code clarifying that RV receptacles did not need to be GFCI.

Last edited: