GFCI Breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdowney

I am having a problem with (2) circuits using GFCI breakers. I have never had this problem using GFCI receptacles.

I have (2) 20A circuits used for exterior receptacles. The homeowner wanted GFCI breakers used instead of GFCI receptacles so it would be easier to find where to perform a reset if there was a fault.

Here is the problem (on both circuits). The instant ANY power is drawn, the breaker trips. It makes no difference if a 2 wire or 3 wire device is plugged in. You can plug things in without tripping the breaker but the moment it is turned on, the breaker trips.

I do not have this problem with any of my AFCI breakers. I also do not have this problem on any circuits using GFCI receptacles.

I have checked each and every plug on these circuits. They are all in metal boxes. I see no issues.

Any suggestions on where to start?

Bryant Downey

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Re: GFCI Breakers

You have a crossed neutral or a neutral to ground connection between the breaker and the receptacles.
Don

bennie

Esteemed Member

Check to make sure the circuit neutral is connected to the breaker and not to the neutral bus.

luke warmwater

Adding to Bennie's reply, make sure you have the correct neutral of the circut to the correct breaker.
I recently had this as a service call, same symptoms:
2 wires entered panel through same connector, 1 was for the washing machine, 1 was for floor heat in master bathroom.
Neutral from washer circut was connected to GFCI breaker for floor heat and Neutral from floor heat circut was connected to Neutral bar.
Every time the timer for the floor heat kicked on, the GFCI breaker would trip.
Honest mistake by technician who needs to get his prescription checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.