Getting Started

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyersfan

Hello,

I was wondering if you folks could provide some input on getting started as an electrical instructor. I have taught some electrical classes to employees of the companies that I have worked for and I would love to begin doing so out there in "the real world." Some people have told me that you have to begin at a vocational school. I have found that to be fairly difficult to get in the door. Any input you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

raider1

Staff member
Re: Getting Started

I would just keep trying to get a job at your local vocational college. It took me about 5 years of applying to finally get a job as an instructor.

I teach the 1st and 2nd year apprentice program on a part time basis(two nights a week, for three hours a night). The area I work in only offers an evening course, where larger areas have full time instructors during the day.

The are many reasons I became an instructor, to keep up on theory and code, and to help keep a high level of training for the next generation of electricians, among other things.

I think it is great that you want to start teaching, we need all the good instructors we can get.

Chris

Flyersfan

I'm sorry, I missed part two of the question. I am hoping to teach electric theory and or code related courses. I have a NJ EC License and numerous HVAC and BOMI designations.

Thanks!

haskindm

Contact your local community college. Most are desperate for part-time faculty to teach trade related training.

bphgravity

Contact the local trade organizations like the IAEI, IEC, NECA, etc... to find out what local education providers are in the area. This information is also proivded by the state. All approved and certified apprenticeship programs are registered with the state, and most states require CEU providers to register as well.

If there are no programs in the area, perhaps you could start your own. With proper motivation and desire, a good electrical school / classes can be be a very rewarding opportunity to develop.

Status
Not open for further replies.