Generator Wired for Backfeed into Breaker Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

StupidInSeattle

The details:

5000w 120/240v generator
Dedicated 60amp 240v breaker in box
Outdoor approved 30amp male box connected to 60amp breaker
10/4 whip with 30amp female plug on one end, 20amp male plug on end plugging into generator output

So, the power went out this morning, turned off main in my breaker box, turned off all breakers in the box. Connected generator via whip to outdoor approved box and fired it up. Went inside and flipped dedicated 60amp on, then turned on the breakers for the things in my house that I needed to power.

Power came back on, turned off generator (here's where I messed up) and forgot to unplug generator/turn of 60amp breaker before throwing the main back to on position (was excited power was on and totally forgot to unplug). Buzzing noise came from generator, realized what happened and turned off main, unplugged both ends of the whip and turned main back on.

All of the receptacle reset buttons on the front of my generator were popped out. Pushed them all in and fired the generator back on and now it produces no power to the receptacles (not surprised).

My question is, did I fry it beyond an affordable repair or is it something simple like I fried the reset buttons. Hoping there is some kind of cheap failsafe in the generator. I can't be the first person to do this and would think the manufacturer would have taken this into consideration when designing.

Thanks in advance, feel free to give me sh!t for my mistake.

jumper

Your generator set up is not to code and dangerous, I advise you to hire an electrician.

The lack of a proper transfer switch or an interlock mechanism cannot only result in harm/death to you and damage to your equipment, but you also risk back feeding a power line that could injure or kill a utility worker in which you could be liable for civil and criminal judgements.

I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.

This site is designed for:

• Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals

* This NEC? Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
If you feel this action to be in error, feel free to contact me via PM to explain.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.