Generator transfer switch in meter socket

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have been made aware of a contraption that turns your meter socket into a transfer switch which allows you to connect a small backup generator without major rewiring. Interesting idea but (1) I thought as a general rule breaking the PoCo's seal was illegal or at least frowned upon. (2) I believe this thing is in fact a transfer switch and therefore qualifies as some type of service disconnect. Now as I understand it, once you go beyond the first service disconnect all panels downstream are now sub-panels and require ground and neutral isolation. Is there some type of exemption if the "service disconnect" resides in the meter enclosure? Is it because it is a "plug in device" and is exempt from being considered a permanent part of the electrical system? My question is if this thing is code compliant without isolating your ground conductors in the panel? Are you allowed to plug random non PoCo accessories into the meter socket?

See device here:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/GenerLi...9|BaseAdditional|FB|D27E|Multi|Multi|Carousel

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
We sell them to the customers at our utility.
Dennis Alwon has a 2020 NEC.
I hope he chimes in here.
I heard they will have to be listed and installed as service equipment with that code cycle.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Yes, the 2020 edition specifically calls out meter mounted transfer switches. Article 230.82(11). GenerLink is the only one I've ever heard of.
I haven't seen many POCOs allow them. Mostly COOP folks such as you (I think you are coop?). I don't think I have ever heard of an IOU POCO allow one.

texie

Occupation
So I have been made aware of a contraption that turns your meter socket into a transfer switch which allows you to connect a small backup generator without major rewiring. Interesting idea but (1) I thought as a general rule breaking the PoCo's seal was illegal or at least frowned upon. (2) I believe this thing is in fact a transfer switch and therefore qualifies as some type of service disconnect. Now as I understand it, once you go beyond the first service disconnect all panels downstream are now sub-panels and require ground and neutral isolation. Is there some type of exemption if the "service disconnect" resides in the meter enclosure? Is it because it is a "plug in device" and is exempt from being considered a permanent part of the electrical system? My question is if this thing is code compliant without isolating your ground conductors in the panel? Are you allowed to plug random non PoCo accessories into the meter socket?

See device here:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/GenerLi...9|BaseAdditional|FB|D27E|Multi|Multi|Carousel

Since this is on the line side of the service disconnect it is grounded to the neutral conductor just like any other metallic items.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Yes, the 2020 edition specifically calls out meter mounted transfer switches. Article 230.82(11). GenerLink is the only one I've ever heard of.
I haven't seen many POCOs allow them. Mostly COOP folks such as you (I think you are coop?). I don't think I have ever heard of an IOU POCO allow one.

Yep, you guessed it..

texie

Occupation
Yep, you guessed it..

In looking at all the docs on the GenerLink site it is not clear to me that this product is listed.
This is all I could find from their install instructions:

GenerLink™ has been thoroughly tested and has been found to be in compliance with the National Electrical Safety Code as it applies to utility control equipment.
For additional information, contact: Technical Support, Global Power Products, Inc 770-7368232.

I know they have been around for at least 25 years that I know of.

Last edited:

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
In looking at all the docs on the GenerLink site it is not clear to me that this product is listed.
This is all I could find from their install instructions:

GenerLink™ has been thoroughly tested and has been found to be in compliance with the National Electrical Safety Code as it applies to utility control equipment.
For additional information, contact: Technical Support, Global Power Products, Inc 770-7368232.

I know they have been around for at least 25 years that I know of.

https://images.homedepot-static.com/catalog/pdfImages/99/9976ebd5-5e78-4bc9-abd3-037f438fc64c.pdf

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician

I don’t have a copy of the 2020.
What exactly does 230.82(11) state?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Here you go

230.82 Equipment Connected to the Supply Side of Service Disconnect.

(11)Meter-mounted transfer switches nominally rated not in excess of 1000 volts that have a short-circuit current rating equal to or greater than the available fault current. A meter-mounted transfer switch shall be listed and be capable of transferring the load served. A meter-mounted transfer switch shall be marked on its exterior with both of the following: a.Meter-mounted transfer switch
b.Not service equipment

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Why would you spend that must money for a transfer switch. With a 30 amp outlet nobody will have an automatic generator. I can usually set up a 30 amp hookup for less money than that. We also are seeing more and more 50 amp hookups.

I wonder if the Power company will get involved in this and start selling them.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Why would you spend that must money for a transfer switch. With a 30 amp outlet nobody will have an automatic generator. I can usually set up a 30 amp hookup for less money than that. We also are seeing more and more 50 amp hookups.

I wonder if the Power company will get involved in this and start selling them.

We are already. That’s why I was curious about the codes.
I really don’t want the CEO and VPs to get all high on rolling these out if they aren’t going to be code compliant when the 2020 is adopted.
i read in the code making committee .pdf that a guy from Generac wrote a proposal. It looks like it was accepted.
apparently they are going to be on top of it..

Personally, I think the price is WAY too high for these.
I would be better off putting the money spent on this switch into a much bigger generator.
then put in a 50 amp, like you said.

Status
Not open for further replies.