Generator Load Calculations

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The Generac Smart Modules detect the frequency of the power coming in. When it drops below the acceptable parameter (can't remember what it is right now), the module opens and removes the load from the generator. They can also lock out larger loads while the generator is running.
I am guessing the Generac generator controls deliberately drop the frequency rather than depending on the prime mover slowing down under load?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

JoeStillman

I am guessing the Generac generator controls deliberately drop the frequency rather than depending on the prime mover slowing down under load?
The generator WILL slow down under overload, just like when your lawn mower slows down in heavy grass. This drops the frequency, not the generator controls. (By rating units at 80% power factor, you usually run out of kW before you run out of kVA.) This makes under-frequency a good indicator of overload and under-frequency relays are often used for load-shedding.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
The generator WILL slow down under overload, just like when your lawn mower slows down in heavy grass. This drops the frequency, not the generator controls. (By rating units at 80% power factor, you usually run out of kW before you run out of kVA.) This makes under-frequency a good indicator of overload and under-frequency relays are often used for load-shedding.
Exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.