Generator Inlet Vs. Back-fed CB

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Say you have a 50 amp generator inlet with #8 MC cable are you required to use a 50 amp back-fed circuit breaker or can it be smaller say 30 or 40 amps? Unless I'm missing something it seems like the NEC is silent on this.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Putting #8 on a 30a breaker is perfectly legal, no?
Yes of course I'm just wondering if there is any requirment when using a 50 amp inlet to be feeding a 50 amp CB at the panel. I don't think that there is or at least I cannot find it in the NEC. They have a 30 amp output on the current generator but may want to upgrade in the future to a large genny so I suggested using a 50 amp inlet, 50 amp conductors, and a 30 amp CB at the panel until the time comes that they upgrade.

480sparky

If you have the inlet and back-fed breaker and premises wiring all rated for 50, but only a 30a breaker on the genny, you're still good. You have everything protected by that 30a breaker. Upgrade the genny later to one with a 50a output, and you won't need to do any rewiring.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
If you have the inlet and back-fed breaker and premises wiring all rated for 50, but only a 30a breaker on the genny, you're still good. You have everything protected by that 30a breaker. Upgrade the genny later to one with a 50a output, and you won't need to do any rewiring.
I agree

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree, set it up now for the 50 amp inlet.

Rock86

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Electrician
What are you using for an interlock at the panel to coincide with the back fed breaker being installed?

JAP>
That was my first question while reading this.
also... remember the circuit breaker is only protecting down stream... it doesnt care about what is coming in as long as the conductors are rated.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
What are you using for an interlock at the panel to coincide with the back fed breaker being installed?

JAP>
Probably something like one of these from the website Dennis recommended.
fac_ge200hd_i_lg.jpg

Reactions: jap
Status
Not open for further replies.